Independence Day is the most American of American drinking holidays out there. From backyard barbecues to town parades to random congregations of stars-and-stripes-loving citizens, there are ample opportunities to share a beverage with family, friends, or even complete strangers (all in the honor of those who kicked ass and took names for our freedom, of course). This year, when you’re prepping the burgers, dogs, and maybe even lobster to throw on the grill, why not mix up a couple summery Fourth of July cocktails as well, so you have something delicious and boozy to raise in honor of the original American badasses, the founding fathers?
Basil Hayden’s Punch
- 750mL bottle Basil Hayden’s Bourbon
- 1 cup sweet vermouth
- .25 cup orange liqueur.
- 2 cups soda water
- 1 cup tart cherry juice
- .5 cup sugar
- 20 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 oranges, sliced into wheels
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Combine Sweet Vermouth, Angostura bitters, sugar, and ground cinnamon in a pitcher or punch bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except soda) and stir to combine. Top with soda just before serving.
The Grilled Peach Margarita
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 oz Cointreau
- 2 oz smoked peach juice*
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 5 mint leaves
- Add all ingredients to a shaker with ice. Fine strain over ice into a rocks glass. Garnish and fine strain over ice into a rocks glass.
*Smoked Peach Juice:
- Caramelize the sugars by placing halved, pitted peaches on a grill until medium char is reached. Let cool. Peel off skin, blend, and strain. Wait until the peach juice has completely cooled off before adding to cocktails.
D’USSE Watermelon Spritz
- 1.5 parts D’USSE VSOP
- .5 part Aperol
- 2 parts fresh watermelon juice
- .5 part simple syrup
- .5 part fresh lemon juice
- 1 part sparkling wine
- Watermelon ball skewer & orange peel for garnish
- Add D’USSE, Aperol, watermelon juice, simple syrup and lemon juice into a shaker with ice. Shake and strain into an ice-filled wine glass. Top with Sparkling Wine. Garnish with a watermelon ball skewer and orange peel.
JAJA Pink Panther
- 2 parts JAJA Tequila Blanco
- .5 parts watermelon juice (or 3 chunks of muddled watermelon)
- .5 part simple syrup
- 1 small slice of jalapeño (can be omitted)
- Add all ingredients to a shaker with ice and shake hard. Strain into a glass over fresh ice and garnish with a slice of watermelon and a lime.
- 1.5 oz Aberfeldy 12 Single Malt Scotch whisky
- .75 oz of local honey syrup*
- Top with chilled chamomile tea
- Stir together Aberfeldy 12 and honey syrup in a glass. Add cubed ice and chilled chamomile tea, then stir to incorporate. Garnish with a lemon twist and a dried chamomile flower.
*Honey Syrup: 100g of honey and 64g water, stir, and leave to chill. Note: syrup will only last 3 days
Gray Whale Gin Frosé
- 6 oz Fleurs de Prairie Rosé
- 3 oz Gray Whale Gin
- 1 oz elderflower liqueur
- 1 oz lemon juice
- Handful of strawberries, de-stemmed (you can use as few or as many strawberries as you want)
- Combine ingredients in a blender with a few ice cubes and pulse until a light slushy consistency is achieved. Pour into a glass and enjoy!
- 2 oz Camarena Silver
- 1 oz lime juice
- .5 oz agave nectar
- 2 oz pineapple juice
- 3-4 cilantro leaves
- Add ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice, and shake together to combine/chill. Strain (or double strain) into an ice-filled glass, and garnish with cilantro, lime, and pineapple frond.
- 8 Grilled Cocktails To Enjoy This Labor Day Weekend
- How To Transform 10 Classic Cocktails Into Frozen Drinks
- 9 Picnic Dishes That Travel Well And Deliver On Flavor
- How To Make The Best Spiked Sweet Tea
- How to Make the Controversial Singapore Sling Cocktail