The trick to finding the best mattress for you is first determining what type of sleeper you are. There are mattresses out there for everyone. Identifying your sleep pattern is crucial to finding the most appropriate mattress. Maybe you suffer from shoulder pain, maybe you're a side sleeper or perhaps you just prefer to have a better night's sleep.
Experts say that adults need anywhere between 7 and 9 hours of sleep per night. Sure, we can all get away with 6 hours of sleep but it's not recommended. A few ways to get better sleep in order to replenish the body and mind is to practice good sleep hygiene. Yes, it's a thing and it's been around since about the 70s. Sleep hygiene is basically a series of (good) habits that help you achieve that good night's sleep you have been dreaming about. And when it comes to where that sleep will occur, we found some of the best mattresses for side sleepers and some of the best mattresses for back pain.
The best part? You can have a mattress in a box delivered right to your door. No more visiting the mattress store and laying on all the beds that countless others have tested out.
- Amerisleep AS5
- Luuf Simplicity Hybrid Mattress
- Venus Williams Legend
- The DreamCloud – Luxury Hybrid Mattress
- Helix Midnight LUXE
- Casper Sleep Element Mattress
- Cocoon Chill Mattress
- TEMPUR-Adapt Mattress
- Tuft & Needle Original Mattress
- Nectar Memory Foam Mattress
- Avocado Green Mattress
- Saatva Classic Mattress
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Amerisleep mattresses come in three different models with the AS5 being the most advanced mattress in their collection. The AS5 uses Bio-Pur technology which prevents heat build-up and features renewable plant-based oils to minimize the use of non-renewable resources.
The mattress contours to your body to assist in relieving pressure points that can cause pain or discomfort while you sleep. The AS5 is made with four layers that offer support for your head and neck, shoulders and upper back, hips and lower back, upper leg and knees, and food support. Bascially covering all the bases no matter what type of sleeper you are.
- Features: Pressure-relieving memory foam with supportive Active Flex is best for side sleepers. Designed to enhance sleep, alleviate pressure points, and eco-friendly material.
- Price: Mattresses range from $1,299 to $2,848 with free shipping and returns.
- Trial Period: Test out the AS5 with a risk-free 100-night trial period and a 20-year warranty.
Luuf Simplicity Hybrid Mattress
You can choose from four different versions of the Luuf Mattress. It's available in Plush, Lux Firm, Firm, and Max Support. The Plush and Luxury Firm models are perfect for couples, side sleepers, and those suffering from hip, shoulder, and joint pain. The Firm and Max Support mattresses are perfect for those seeking a firmer mattress.
If you are looking for the best of both worlds, then the Luxury Firm mattress may be for you. It combines the plush bed benefits of alleviating muscle and joint pain with the back support you need in a firm mattress.
- Features: Mattresses are adjustable base friendly, offer breathable fabric, and are temperature-regulating. All beds are CertiPur certified and use five to seven zones of coils to support your body.
- Price: Mattresses range from $999 to $1,999 with free shipping.
- Trial Period: Comes with a 100-night risk-free trial and a 10-year warranty.
Venus Williams Legend
What do you get when you combine one of tennis' greatest players and one of the best mattresses on the market today? You get the Venus Williams legend by GhostBed. This mattress is designed for recovery and performance by using a mineral-infused gel memory foam. The cover is a sustainable cooling cover made from 25% recycled water bottles.
The design of the mattress allows for better air circulation and the infused gel absorbs heat and draws it away from your body. The Legend mattress offers contouring and support with its medium feel comfort.
- Features: Three layers of gel memory foam, Ghost Bounce layer similar to latex, and high-density base foam. Made with CertiPur certified foams, 25% recycled water bottles, and a low carbon footprint in the delivery process.
- Price: Mattresses range from $1,496 to $2,993 with free shipping.
- Trial Period: Comes with a 101-night sleep trial and a 25-year warranty.
The DreamCloud – Luxury Hybrid Mattress
The DreamCloud offers 2 versions; the standard, and the premier. Both mattresses are available in 6 sizes and they both offer 14 inches of premium comfort. The top layer of the DreamCloud is quilted foam and cashmere to keep you cozy and cool at the same time and the gel memory foam provides the pressure relief you need while contouring your body. An extra layer allows you to sink into the bed like you're floating while the coil layer gives you support and adapts to your body.
The premier mattress has an extra inch for added support and comfort. Each mattress has a stay-put base that prevents the mattress from sliding around. With all of the supportive layers, you will feel minimal movement even when your partner rolls over or gets out of bed. Each DreamCloud mattress comes with a mattress protector, sheet set, and cooling pillow.
- Features: Each mattress features a luxury firm-level and is perfect for any type of sleeper but is best for side sleepers.
- Price: The mattresses range from $699 to $1,199 and offer free shipping and returns.
- Trial Period: You can test out this mattress for 365 nights risk-free and it comes with a lifetime warranty which makes this one of the best plush mattresses out there.
Helix Midnight LUXE
The Midnight Luxe is a 14-inch mattress 6-layered premium version of the Helix brand and comes in 6 sizes and offers zoned lumbar support for contouring and a quilted pillow top. The Tencel airflow technology is an ultra-breathable cover created for maximum airflow to stay cool and comfortable.
The Midnight mattress is a 12-inch tall 4-layered mattress that supports side sleepers and individuals who toss and turn at night. The pressure point relief system on both mattresses works for any sleeping position to create less pain and strain on your hips and shoulders–both mattresses are made without toxic chemicals or ozone depleters.
- Features: Helix has set a name for itself with the midnight series and its medium-firm comfort levels which make this perfect for side sleepers.
- Price: Some of the best queen mattresses here, range from $999 to $2,1499 and offer free shipping
- Trial Period: A 100-night trial period and a 10- or 15-year warranty depending on which model you choose.
Casper Sleep Element Mattress
The Casper Mattress is designed for softness and support with a top layer of memory foam that conforms to the contours of your body for pressure relief, and it's our pick for the best memory foam mattress you can buy today. The layered AirScapeTM technology allows increased airflow and circulates air through the perforated breathable foam, allowing hot air and body heat to escape.
The Element mattress is engineered for combined softness and support and the top layer of memory foam conforms to your body to relieve pressure. Your body will be supported by base foam that was designed to prevent sinking and sagging.
- Features: Perhaps one of the best mattresses on Amazon is the Casper Mattress. It's soft yet supportive and it's perfect for back sleepers.
- Price: These mattresses range from $490 to $835 and offer free shipping.
- Trial Period: A 10-year limited warranty in addition to free shipping, you can test it out with a 100-night free trial period. If you are unsatisfied, return it for free.
Cocoon Chill Mattress
The Cocoon by Sealy comes in two styles: The Chill Memory Foam and the Chill Hybrid. The Chill mattress is the most popular offering perfect fits to your body shape and the stretch-knit cover is a proprietary "Phase Change Material" (PCM) that helps absorb and disperse heat. The Chill Hybrid is a perfect mixture of memory foam and responsive coils for spine alignment and targeted support all wrapped into a breathable cover.
The Chill mattress comes with dual-sided pillows and 100% combed cotton Dreamfit Sheet sets. If you are a hot sleeper, you can upgrade to the Extra Chill Foam. The PCM technology is added to the foam and then wrapped in a premium cover for added heat protection, keeping you cool all night long.
- Features: The Chill mattress is a medium-firm bed for back and stomach sleepers.
- Price: You can pick up a mattress for $499 to $1,299, which includes free shipping and returns.
- Trial Period: 100-night trial period and a 10-year warranty.
The Tempur-Adapt mattresses come in 3 models: Adapt, ProAdapt, and the LuxeAdapt (check our or list of the best Tempur-Pedic mattresses to see which is best for who). No matter which model you pick, each mattress is equipped with layers of material originally developed by NASA to support your body and to help relieve pressure. Every mattress automatically adapts to your body. Features include 11 to 13 inches of mattress material, all with cool-to-touch technology, pressure relief, and motion cancellation.
This mattress is perfectly customizable; simply choose the model, 1 of 8 sizes, and then pick your comfort level ranging from soft to firm. The Adapt will adjust to your weight, shape, and temperature. If you level up to the AdaptPro, it provides advanced pressure relief material; The ultimate comfort is the LuxeAdapt and offers you maximum comfort and 30% more conforming to your body.
- Features: Choose your comfort level from any of the 4 levels available, making this a universal mattress perfect for side sleepers.
- Price: The price for the mattresses ranges from $1,599 to $6,598 and includes free shipping.
- Trial Period: 90-night trial period, and a 10-year warranty.
Tuft & Needle Original Mattress
The original mattress developed by Tuft & Needle is made of heat-absorbing graphite that is meant to conduct body heat away from you. It also offers ceramic gel beads that help wick away the heat. The open-cell support foam is a long-lasting breathable foundation and is part of the 3-inches of T&N Adaptive foam created to contour and relieve pressure. The Tuft and Needle Original Mattress uses a durable, breathable, and flexible foam for air circulation so you can sleep cooler. The foam construction is then wrapped into a soft-knit and breathable fabric.
- Features: If you are concerned about odors, you can select the antimicrobial protection “HeiQ HyProTecht.” The antimicrobial technology will guard the mattress against degradation from microorganisms, and inhibits the growth of bacterial odors. For even more protection, T&N offers a mattress protector to extend the life of your mattress. T&N Original mattresses are medium-firm and great for back and stomach sleepers.
- Price: They range from $645 to $1,095 and offer free shipping and free returns.
- Trial Period Comes with a 100-night trial period and a 10-year warranty.
Nectar Memory Foam Mattress
Voted the best memory foam mattresses, Nectar is made of a soft poly-blend cover with heat wicking and cooling technology. The memory foam is constructed of 3-inch gel-infused memory foam, 2 inches of adjusting foam, and a 7-inch layer of stand foam for comfort and support.
Choose from The Nectar, a memory foam mattress that keeps you cool while hugging your body, or The Nectar Premier and get upgraded to a more enhanced cooling, comfortable, and supportive mattress with PCM-infused gel memory foam. Each mattress includes two cooling pillows, a sheet set, and a mattress protector – the Nectar Premier also includes a Google Nest hub.
- Features: The Nectar has been around for a while and offers a medium-firm mattress for side sleepers.
- Price: The mattresses are priced between $499 and $1,199 and include free shipping and returns.
- Trial Period: Comes with a lifetime warranty, and a 365-night trial period.
Avocado Green Mattress
The Avocado is a natural mattress featuring 100% GOLS organic certified latex, wool, and cotton. It sports up to 1,414 pocketed support coils in 5 zones. The stitching is sewn by hand and does not use any glue. There is no polyester material, polyurethane foam, or toxic fire retardants. They offer a vegan mattress that is made without wool and if you prefer a mattress without springs, they offer a new latex mattress. Each size has a pillow top add-on for extra comfort. Every mattress is Greenguard Gold Certified for low emissions and is also Formaldehyde Free Certified by the UL Environment.
Choose between the Standard mattress that is a firm feel in eco-luxury. It is 11 inches thick and has 3 inches of GOLS organic certified latex rubber foam for a balance of firmness, comfort, and support. Or choose the European-style Pillow Top mattress for plush and luxury. The Pillow Top is filled with an extra 2 inches of GOLS organic latex rubber foam and provides additional pressure relief.
- Features: One of the best organic mattresses on the market is the Avocado Standard Mattress and Pillow Top Mattress great for back stomach, and side sleepers.
- Price: The price range is between $1,099 and $2,099, including free shipping.
- Trial Period: All mattresses offer a 365-night trial period, 25-year warranty.
Saatva Classic Mattress
Design your perfect bed with the Saatva Classic Mattress hybrid innerspring mattress. Choose from 11.5 or 14.5-inch mattresses and you can select between 3 comfort levels. The 3-inch pressure point relieving pillow top comes standard with all mattresses and dual coils made from durable recycled carbon steel. The breathable organic cotton cover along with the responsive coils lets airflow move body heat away from you. The density of the memory foam allows for spinal alignment support no matter what sleep position you are in – perfect for back and joint support.
The Plush Soft level is best for side sleepers who like more form-fitting comfort with softer foams and extra padding in the pillow top. Specially designed for people who find mattresses too firm, the Luxury Firm-level is great for a balance of comfort and support for any sleeping position. The Firm-level provides balanced resistance by utilizing firmer foams. Back and stomach sleepers find this extra-firm mattress best for their comfort level.
- Features: If you're looking for plush soft, luxury firm, or firm mattresses, then the Saatva Classic is perfect.
- Price: Mattresses start at $887 and the brand offers free shipping and setup.
- Trial Period: Comes with a 180-night free trial and a 15-year warranty.
According to an article from the Sleep Foundation, mattresses generally last anywhere between 7 and 10 years. There are several factors for determining its longevity. Things to consider are the quality of the material used, the quality of how the mattress was constructed, the mattress type such as coils, foam, latex, and even your sleep position and body weight.
It is also important to have a good maintenance routine like flipping or rotating the mattress, using a protective covering, performing regular cleanings, and following the manufacturer's recommendations.
While most mattresses offer the same features, that does not mean that all mattresses are created equal especially when you are considering what is best for your back pain, sleeping position, your body type, as well as your budget. These simple yet effective guidelines will help you determine which mattress size is best for you:
- Consider your body weight and sleeping position.
- Is your current bed too hard or too soft?
- Visit mattress stores and test out various types of beds.
- What is the size of your bedroom including any furniture that will accompany your bed?
There are 4 categories of mattress material used to construct a mattress. Those four categories are then broken down even further.
Innerspring Coils compress when pressure is applied and spring back into place when the pressure is removed. There are 4 types of coils to look out for:
- Bonnell Coils are the most used and have the lowest price point. They have an hourglass shape and are attached to the frame.
- Offset Coils are the same as Bonnell Coils but they are much more contouring and are not attached to the mattress frame, but connected by a piece of metal.
- Continuous Wire Coil are coils that are made out of one piece of wire.
- Pocketed Coils or Marshall Coils are coils that are covered in fabric and are sewn together to complete the network of coils creating the ability to move independently and not affect surrounding coils.
Foam mattresses are extremely popular and are made of several layers for comfort, stability, and durability. The foam mattresses can be made of memory foam, polyfoam, latex, gel-infused foam, or cotton, wool, and polyester. There are varying degrees of contouring, bounce, motion isolation, and temperature regulation in these materials. Latex and gel-infused foam have the highest degree of temperature regulation for sleeping cool.
Hybrid mattresses incorporate innerspring coils (usually pocketed coils) and select foam layers. Some of the best features are low bounce, temperature regulation, and balanced features; however, they are more expensive and heavier to handle.
Latex mattresses are made from a rubber material and are thicker and denser to help with durability and stability. There are two processes for making natural latex mattresses:
- The Dunlop process extracts sap, froths it, places the foamy mixture into a mold, and then bakes it. This process creates a mattress with sediment which makes the latex heavier and firmer on one side.
- The Talalay process extracts sap, froths it, places the foamy mixture into a mold, vacuum seals it, freezes it, and then bakes it. This process creates a more uniform latex mattress that is lighter and more balanced.
Finding the perfect mattress is really a matter of preference. There is a large variety of mattresses made with a mixture of materials that come in different sizes, and sometimes, adjustable comfort levels. A comfortable mattress is not the only thing to consider, you must create a comfortable sleeping environment so you gain optimal sleep hygiene.
These mattresses will help you achieve a better night's sleep. All you have to worry about is what type of sheet set to purchase but that's a different story. Rest assured, you'll have no problem finding the best bedding for your new mattress.
- Best Mattress Sales: Top Deals and Prices for October 2022
- Best Saatva Mattress Deals and Sales for September 2022
- Best Queen Mattress Sales and Deals for September 2022
- Tempur-Pedic Mattress Sale: Save $500 on the Top Brand
- These Are the 10 Best Mattresses for Kids to Sleep On