The Old Fashioned is perhaps the most classic cocktail in the cocktail canon. The combination of bourbon, bitters, and sugar is hard to beat when it comes to a full-flavored yet easy-to-make whiskey drink. According to Robert Simonson in his book The Old Fashioned, the drink dates back to 1862, when it was simply called The Whiskey Cocktail.
Since that time, bartenders around the world have played with the drink, adding and subtracting all sorts of ingredients popular at the time. While you can’t go wrong with the original old fashioned recipe, sometimes it’s good to mix it up a little bit. Check out four fresh takes on the classic cocktail below and get ready to tap into your inner Don Draper.
Canadian Club 100% Rye Old Fashioned
- 2 parts Canadian Club 100% Rye Whisky
- 8 dashes Angostura Bitters
- Pinch of Raw Sugar
- Orange Peel, to garnish
Method: Muddle sugar and bitters in a rocks glass. Add Canadian Club 100% Rye and ice. Stir and top with an orange peel as garnish.
Knob Creek Old Fashioned Holiday
(Created by Celebrity Chef Michael Symon)
- 1 1/2 parts Knob Creek Rye Whiskey
- 1/2 part Cinnamon Syrup
- 1/2 part Lemon
- 1 part Wild Ale (like Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales)
- 1 Egg White
- Nutmeg for Garnish
Method: Combine all ingredients in a bar tin without ice. Shake for 20 seconds. Add ice and shake for another 20 seconds. Double strain into chilled lowball glass. Garnish with grated nutmeg.
Pumpkin Fright Old Fashioned
- 2 parts Tullamore D.E.W. Irish Whiskey
- ¾ parts Bénédictine
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 dashes Orange bitters
Method: Add all ingredients to a mixing glass and fill with ice. Stir to chill and dilute cocktail, then strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice. Garnish with an Orange slice and Pumpkin Face garnish.
The 1800 Old Fashioned
- 2 oz. 1800 Añejo
- Dash of Chocolate Bitters
- Dash of Angostura Bitters
- Cane Sugar cube
- Fresh Raspberries
Method: Muddle Raspberries thoroughly in shaker combined with 1800 Anejo. Add dash of chocolate bitters + dash of
- Easy 3-Ingredient Cocktail Recipes You Can Master
- How To Transform 10 Classic Cocktails Into Frozen Drinks
- 5 Classic Whiskey Cocktails You Should Know How to Make
- 8 Grilled Cocktails To Enjoy This Labor Day Weekend
- 9 Essential Rum Cocktails You Have to Try at Home