Ernest Hemingway once said “Write drunk; edit sober,” and we thought it only fitting to follow such brilliant advice while putting together a holiday hooch guide. Know somebody who likes booze? Get them one of the things on this list. They’ll love it, and probably make you a drink after they open it, so it’s pretty much win-win.
If you’re buying for a liquor lover, the obvious choice is to get them booze. But don’t settle for some run-of-the-mill bottle that they’ve already heard of. Get them something special, that they aren’t likely to stumble across at their local liquor store. Here’s a quick selection of badass choices in each category:
For the Whiskey Lover
- Hillrock Solera — Solera whiskey is aged in a single barrel, but the whiskey is never fully removed, and new stuff is added periodically. It’s crazy complex, and will be a hit with any whiskey lover you know.
- Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve — Knob knows what’s up when it comes to bourbon, and this is undoubtedly one of the best bottles they have in their lineup.
- Elijah Craig 23 — Elijah Craig’s standard 12-year old is pretty damn good, but this 23-year bottle is nothing short of superb.
For the Scotch Man
- The Glenlivet Nadurra — This stuff is aged in these Oloroso Sherry casks, which gives the scotch this subtle fruity flavor that’ll blow your mind. This is one of the most delicious scotches in recent memory.
- Highland Park 25 year old Single Malt — Let me put it this way. If my girlfriend and a bottle of this scotch were hanging off the edge of a cliff and I had two arms to use, I would let go of my girlfriend just to make sure that the bottle made it up safely (just kidding baby!). But seriously this scotch is awesome.
- Johnny Walker Blue — Whoever you buy this for will be your friend forever. It’s not a secret that this is some of the best goddamn whiskey on god’s green Earth. Sure, it’s a bit on the spendy side, but it’s definitely worth it.
For the Tequila Guy
- Tears of Llorona — The master distiller behind this tequila –German Gonzales– is about as skilled as they come, and as soon as you take a sip, you’ll realize how true that statement is.
- Casamigos — This is George Clooney’s tequila brand, but despite what you’d think, it’s not some gimmicky, cheap swill that leans on Clooney’s name recognition to sell bottles. It’s really quite good, and would make an excellent gift for any tequila fan.
- Illegal Mezcal — Also comes in Añejo and Reposado varieties. It’s awesome — not super smoky like some mezcals are, with a nice spicyness and the subtle sweetness of caramelilzed fruit
For the Gin Fanatic
- Elephant Gin — This is gin with an adventurous and distinctly african twist. It’s made with 14 different botanicals — including a few rare ones you’ll only find in Africa, such as Baobab fruit, the Buchu plant, and African Wormwood.
- Greenhook Gin — This is probably my favorite gin right now, and has been for the past few months. Vapor distilled, and in addition to the obligatory addition of juniper, it tastes strongly of elderflower and ceylon cinnamon.
- Jasper’s Barrel-Aged Gin — barrel-aged gin is the tits. It mellows certain flavors and strengthen others, and in this bottle it brings out the anise flavor quite a bit.
Bar Gear & Accessories
- Neat Bar Ice Kit — This mofo comes with a chisel and a bat! It’s way more fun than making iceballs with some boring-ass mold.
- DIY Oak Aging Barrel — It’s like magic. You can fill it with cheap booze, wait for a few weeks, and then pour out stuff that tastes like it came from the top shelf.
- Tasting Whiskey book — The dude who wrote this, Lew Bryson, knows more about whiskey than anyone we’ve ever met. This book is like his brain put on paper.
- Bar Bag — This certainly isn’t the first or only bar kit bag, but it’s arguably the best looking one we’ve ever laid eyes on.
- Carry-On Cocktail Kit — Bring this little TSA-approved kit with you on your next flight, and you won’t have to suffer through another boring in-flight cocktail.