Autumn is almost upon us and we’re returning to a palate of flavors that is more apt for the cooler weather. We’re talking brown spirits, harvest flavors — all of that good stuff. Whether you’re looking for a hot cocktail to fight the chill of an October night or you just want a little more apple or pumpkin in your life, you’ll find something to fall for among the nine cocktail recipes below.
Knob Creek Bless Your Heart
- 1 part Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve
- 1 part Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
- .5 part Punt e Mes
- .75 part fresh lemon juice
- Luxardo Maraschino cherries (for garnish)
Method: Combine all ingredients in mixing glass and add ice. Stir and strain in a chilled coupe glass. Garnish with a skewer of Luxardo Maraschino cherries.
Orange Cinnamon Blossom
- 1 bottle of Santa Margherita Prosecco Superiore DOCG
- .5 of a lemon
- .5 of an orange
- 1 tbsp honey
- .25 cup sugar
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 whole allspice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
Method: Rinse lemon and orange and thinly slice them, discarding seeds; quarter the orange slices. Put fruit in a 4- to 5-quart pan. Add honey, sugar (use the smaller amount if you prefer drinks on the tart side, the larger if you want a sweeter flavor), cloves and allspice. With a knife, cut the cinnamon sticks lengthwise into thinner strips. Add cinnamon and 2 cups water to pan; bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes. Pour Prosecco into hot citrus base and heat until steaming, about 8 minutes. Keep warm over low heat. Ladle into heatproof cups or wine glasses.
Laphroaig Needle In The Hay
- 1 part Laphroaig Select Scotch Whisky
- .75 part apple brandy
- 1 tsp Dark maple syrup
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Lemon twist (for garnish)
Method: Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and stir until slightly chilled but still boozy. Strain into an Old Fashioned glass with a large ice cube. Garnish with a lemon twist.
Golden Owl Cocktail
- 3 oz of Elysian Brewing’s Night Owl Pumpkin Ale
- 1.5 oz Laird’s Applejack Brandy
- 75 oz lemon juice
- .75 oz cinnamon syrup*
Method: Combine all apple brandy, lemon juice, and cinnamon syrup into a shaker. Strain mixture into an ice-filled Collins or pint glass. Top with 3 oz of Elysian Brewing’s Night Owl Pumpkin Ale. Garnish with fresh apples and cinnamon.
*Cinnamon syrup: Combine 1 cup rich brown sugar, 1 cup water, and 5 cinnamon sticks. Boil until sugar dissolves and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and store in refrigerator.
(Created at Doc Crow’s Smokehouse, Louisville, Kentucky)
- 2 oz Buffalo Trace bourbon
- .75 oz Cynar
- .5 oz Luxardo Maraschino liqueur
- 1 dropper Orchard Celery bitters
Method: Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass. Stir with ice. Strain into a chilled coupe glass and garnish with a bourbon cherry.
(Created at Underdog, New York City)
- 1.25 oz Torres Brandy
- 1 mug of Island Broth*
Method: Serve warm in a traditional coffee mug.
- .25 lb almond powder
- .5 lb unsweetened coconut flakes
- .25 lb cacao nibs
- 1 lb superfine sugar
- 2 qt water
Method: In a saucepan, combine the ingredients, bring to a boil, allow simmer for 10 minutes. Cool & Store In plastic containers for 8 hours. Strain Mixture through Cheesecloth. Reheat to serve.
- 1.5 oz Cîroc VS French Brandy
- .5 oz dry Curaçao
- .5 oz simple syrup
- 1 wedge of orange/lemon
- 1 strawberry, 3 raspberries
- Strawberry, raspberry, mint for garnish
Method: In shaker, muddle all the fruits. Add the rest of the ingredients and one ice cube. Double strain into a rocks glass filled with crushed ice. Garnish.
Cruzan Maple Leaf
- 2 parts Cruzan Estate Diamond Dark Rum
- .5 part maple syrup
- 4 dashes bitters
- 2 dashes apple bitters
- Ground cinnamon
Method: Stir ingredients over ice and pour in a rocks glass over a large ice cube. Scrape fresh cinnamon on top as garnish.
(Created at Boulton & Watt, New York City)
- 1.5 oz Plantation Dark Rum
- 1.5 oz chai
- 2 oz almond milk
- .5 oz lemon juice, keep peel
- .5 oz of simple syrup
- 1 cinnamon stick for garnish
- Angostura bitters for garnish
Method: Combine ingredients, and shake with ice, pour over ice in a Highball Glass and garnish with cinnamon, a lemon twist, and Angostura bitters.
- Celebrate National Tequila Day with These Awesome Agave Cocktails
- 12 Must-Have Cocktails for National Rum Day
- Taste the Freedom with these Summery 4th of July Cocktails
- Learn the Art of Classic Tiki Cocktails With These 8 Essential Recipes
- 10 Refreshing Labor Day Cocktail Recipes to Salute the End of Summer