It’s that time of year again — Roll up your bathing suits, put the aloe back under the sink, and throw out those well-worn flip-flops because autumn is upon us! This is really one of our favorite times of year. It’s time to start drinking the brown booze more than the vodka and gin, we can start planning mountain hikes and hearty seasonal dishes, and of course we get to really step up our wardrobe game.
Fall is when guys get to show off everything they’ve got before it all goes under a coat for the winter. We can bust out those cardigans, corduroys, and newly shined boots, and pull out the hats, scarves, and parkas to layer with.
Where else knows a cool climate better than Portland, Oregon where the temperature can stay in the 50s half the year. We spoke to our compatriots over at the menswear outpost Lizard Lounge in Portland’s historic Pearl District to hear more about what they see trending for fall 2014.
As Lizard Lounge’s Shane Brown says, guys are still keeping it classic like PF Flyers and Levis, but guys are also having fun by adding prints and textures.
Here are some of the top trends to remember to amp up your wardrobe this fall:
- Twill Pants — Consider something sturdy and neutral like twill to replace your all day every day denim.
- Chambray Shirts — Per above, if you ditch the denim jeans you can wear indigo colored button down shirts with your twill pants.
- Bomber Jacket — Try this style out for a change instead of the usual puffer or pea coat.
- Boots — While these are pretty standard, it’s nice to have a new pair (or a newly polished pair) that you can wear out on the town and not just at the sawmill.
- Classic cut sweatshirts — They may seem basic but brands are cutting them for a more modern fit and made with ring-spun cotton (which basically is a stronger cotton thread with a much softer hand). Can’t really go wrong with one of these for a weekend in the hills.
- Raw selvedge denim — Because it just never goes out of style and always looks great.