Scarf season is upon us, and there is a video circulating on Reddit showing what it claims to be the correct way to tie a scarf.
The video, originally posted to Twitter (now X) and shared to the NonPoliticalTwitter subreddit, is a silent instructional tutorial perfect for visual learners looking for ways to tie a scarf. The creator folds the scarf in half and drapes it around her neck. Next, she loops one side behind her head and proceeds to grab both sides. Finally, she ties a knot and pulls it tight.
Some Redditors were confused.
“I have watched this loop like 10 times, and I still don’t know how to do it,” commented one.
“The instructions are unclear,” wrote another.
Others got the gist, but commented they preferred other ways of tying scarves. They’re right — there are quite a few, and the best one will depend on your personal style. However, a neatly tied or draped scarf is an essential part of a discerning gentleman’s winter wardrobe and not some mere throw-on accessory. Here are four great ways to tie a scarf.
Timeless and practical knot
Opt for a knot as classic as a timepiece if you need to figure out how to tie a scarf in no time. After a process that’s literally as easy as 1-2-3, you can forget the scarf exists. The knot stays put as you power walk to your destination.
- Hold the scarf lengthwise and fold it in half.
- Wrap it evenly around your neck.
- Pull both ends through the look created by the fold. Give an extra pull or two for good measure.
Forget complicated knots and go for a fuss-free style. The relaxed style of the double-drape offers a looser but put-together look that offers breathing room. A thicker scarf will ensure you still have practical coverage.
- Drape the scarf without folding it first around your neck at the midpoint.
- Wrap one end behind your neck and onto the other side.
- Repeat on the opposite side.
The suit scarf
- Drape the scarf over your shoulder.
- Criss-cross the ends to make a small X.
- Tuck the ends of the tie into your jacket.
The loose knot
A more relaxed riff on the first way to tie a scarf, this method exudes effortlessly cool vibes.
- Fold the scarf lengthwise.
- Drape it around your neck.
- Loosely loop the ends through the fold. Refrain from pulling on it.
Ultimately, there are many ways to tie a scarf. Some are timeless, while others will have you looking as posh as you are cozy. Social media platforms, including TikTok, Twitter (X), and Instagram, aren’t great for everything (see: health tips), but they can help you find style inspiration all year round. Adding your own flair with accessories or coats can help you achieve the epitome of personal style.
There’s one thing that’s important to remember about scarves, length matters as well as width. To achieve the perfect look with any of the methods of scarf tying we’ve listed, you need to make sure that your scarf is the right size.
London’s Saville Row Company, which focuses on luxury menswear, suggests that a man’s scarf should be somewhere between 55 to 70 inches long (140 to 178 centimeters if you’re buying from an overseas retailer) and between 6 to 12 inches wide (16 to 30 centimeters). Scarves shorter than that will limit the methods you can use to tie them. And if the scarf is too long, it will give you a look that’s bulky, or ruin your clean look by hanging down below your jacket.
- Jeremy Allen White has made ‘the everyman style’ trendy: 5 pieces to buy if you want to steal the look
- 5 date night looks for men that are guaranteed to make a great impression
- The new Timex Marlin Jet Automatic looks a lot more expensive than it is
- The 10 best eyeglasses for men to buy this year
- The best Fossil watches for men: Our top picks