This Super Bowl, we’ll be stuffing our faces to the New England Patriots returning for a third straight year in a row to take on the Los Angeles Rams, who haven’t taken the field of this event since 2000. Rams coach Sean McVay will be hoping to rewrite history since in 2000 the Rams lost the Lombardi to none other than the Pats (20-17 in the first Super Bowl Tom Brady won).
Needless to say, we’re going to need a lot of snacks to mellow the nerves of this matchup. Which should be legendary, so brush up on your Super Bowl LIII facts (and why not the best commercials and halftime shows, while you’re at it).
Back to the snacks.
At a Super Bowl party, you need food and drink to satisfy the masses. Yes, chips, salsa, and cheap beer are fine and dandy, but this is the Super Bowl. Like Tom Brady in every fourth quarter ever, it’s time to elevate your game and become the GOAT with your Super Bowl dishes. Below, you’ll find truly Super Bowl-worthy snacks to serve up on February 3. But while we’re getting fancy, remember everyone wants to consume some iteration of booze, liquid cheese, and meat on the Super Bowl. So no caviar, please.
Pigs in a Blanket
How is it puff pastry and Andouille Sausage taste so darn good together? Stefano Faita and Les Trois Petits Cochons show us how to turn what is theoretically a fancy mini-hot dog into an app worthy of the national anthem.
- 7 sausages Andouille Sausage
- .75 cups Moutarde a l’Ancienne mustard
- 2 pre-rolled puff pastry sheets (10-inch x 10-inch)
- 3 tbsp liquid honey
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp water, for egg wash
- Handful poppy seeds and/or sesame seeds, for finishing
- Sweet tomato ketchup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut each sausage into 3 pieces and set aside. (You’ll have 21 pieces but you only need 20. The extra piece can be the cook’s treat or serve a pig without its blanket.)
- Combine the Dijon mustard and honey (this can be done with regular Dijon Mustard too).
- Transfer 1/4 cup of it to a small bowl for flavouring the pigs in blanket and then reserve the remaining amount for serving with the baked ones. Set aside.
- Beat egg with 1 tbsp. water for egg wash and set aside. Dust work surface lightly with flour.
- Cut each pastry sheet into 10 (5-inch x 2-inch) pieces. Brush a little honey mustard on each square of pastry.
- Add piece of sausage and roll. Brush pastry with egg wash. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with poppy seeds and/or sesame seeds.
- Bake until pastry is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve with reserved honey mustard and Sweet tomato ketchup.
Fresh Spinach and Sweet Garlic Dip
Make a lot of this dip. Pair it with Kettle Brand Potato Chips (oh yeah, the good stuff), or raw veggies. Honestly, you may find your friend eating the dip alone by the spoonful. What nobody will know is that the cheesy, rich goodness of the dip is actually dairy-free thanks to Kite Hill’s almond milk cream cheese.
- 8 oz Kite Hill Plain cream cheese
- 2 medium roasted garlic cloves
- 6 oz blanched spinach
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pan-roast garlic cloves in olive oil until golden brown. Set the garlic cloves aside to cool.
- Blanch fresh spinach in boiling water and shock in cold water.
- Drain, squeeze and chop the spinach into medium-sized pieces.
- Put all the ingredients (roasted garlic, blanched spinach and cream cheese) in a food processor and blend for 2 min until smooth.
Mac and Cheese Bites
Handheld macaroni and cheese? We’re in.
- 6 oz macaroni
- 2.5 oz whipped cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- .5 cup milk
- .5 cup sour cream
- 3 oz bacon bits
- 1-2 jalapeños diced
- salt and pepper
- 24 pieces Cheddar & Parmesan Brazi Bites
- Make Brazi Bites based on packaging instructions. Turn down oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt butter and use half to grease mini muffin pan.
- Press Brazi Bites to form the base of the cups.
- Make macaroni according to package instructions.
- Strain and immediately mix hot macaroni with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, sour cream, milk, egg, remaining butter, bacon bites, diced jalapeños, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon macaroni mix over the pressed Brazi Bites. Bake 12 – 14 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes.
Secret Sauce Burger
Ingredients for the secret sauce:
- .5 cup Sir Kensington ketchup
- 2 tbsp molasses
- .5 cup vegan mayo
- 2 tbsp relish
Ingredients for the burger:
- 1 cup chiffonade green leaf lettuce
- 1 beefsteak tomato, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 slice American cheese (easily swap with your favorite vegan version)
- Handful of pickle slices
- 2 (.25 lb.) The Beyond Burgers
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Sesame seed buns
- 2 tbsp butter melted or your favorite vegan spread
- Make the sauce by combining all ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- Heat up a griddle pan and brush the sesame bun with melted butter and place down into the griddle pan.
- Toast the bun until golden brown. Remove the bun and keep warm.
- Wipe the pan clean and add oil to the pan, place the seasoned patty in the pan and cook on both sides for 3 minutes each side.
- When the patty is almost cooked through, add the American cheese and melt. Spoon secret sauce on each side of the bun.
- Add lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles. Place patty on top, serve.
Ed’s Lobster Bar’s Dry Wings
If you’re concerned with your possibly-drunk guests getting things messy, these dry rub wings from Ed’s Lobster Bar are a great option when you want a tasty handheld treat that isn’t saucy.
Ingredients for the wings and rub:
- 1 pound chicken wings
- 1 tbsp Old Bay
- 1 tbsp cayenne (for less spice use 1 tsp)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- .5 tsp ground pepper
Ingredients for the yogurt sauce:
- 8 oz yogurt, strained
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 cucumber, seeded and grated or chopped in food processor
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of chopped dill
- For the yogurt sauce, mix all ingredients together and serve cold.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pat wings dry and place flat on sheet tray lined with parchment paper. Make sure wings are not touching. Bake for 30 minutes then flip over and bake for 30 more minutes.
- Remove wings from sheet tray and dry with a paper towel. Then toss in dry rub.
- Clean sheet tray and place new parchment paper on it. Lay wings separated and flat. Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes flip over and bake till fully crisp. About 20 more minutes.
- Remove from tray and serve with cut celery and carrots and yogurt sauce.
Want regular old Buffalo wings instead (messy fingers be damned!)? You can get Duff’s Famous Wings on Goldbelly delivered to your door in time for the game. Duff’s has been a Buffalo Staple and is widely touted as the best buffalo wings in the world. Go ahead, pretend you made them.
- What Is Quinoa and How to Make It in 2 Delicious Recipes
- 3 Keto Recipes: Nachos, Fried Chicken, and Philly Cheesesteak
- Southwestern Stuffed Mushrooms Are a March Madness Slam Dunk Snack
- How to Cook Ribs in the Oven (Yes, They’ll Come Out Great)
- 5 Seductively Delicious Aphrodisiac Recipes You Can Cook at Home