While winter may still be hanging around certain parts of the country, it is officially spring, and with the changing season comes a whole new batch of cocktails to dig into. The heavier cocktails are getting put away for a little while in favor of drinks that feature all manner of ingredients that are fresh and lively.
The spring cocktails below are the epitome of that idea. Whether it’s using ingredients like St-Germain to give a sweet and floral note to a drink or having a presentation that comes close to the color of fresh cut grass, after a couple of these, you’ll forget that there still might be snow on the ground outside your house.
(Created by Maxime Belfand, Saxon + Parole, New York City)
- 1 oz Martini & Rossi Riserva Speciale Bitter
- 1 oz Martini & Rossi Ambrato
- 1 oz blood orange juice
- 3 dashes olive bitters
- Top with Perrier and Lambrusco, equal parts
- Blood orange wheel, green olive, and single rosemary sprig to garnish
Method: Built and top with Lambrusco and Perrier.
They Call Him Singapore “The Sling”
(Created by Francesco Amodeo, Master Blender, Don Ciccio & Figli)
- .75 oz gin
- .25 oz Don Ciccio Mandarinetto
- .5 oz Don Ciccio Cerasum Cherry Aperitivo
- .25 oz Don Ciccio Finocchietto
- 2 oz pineapple juice
- .5 oz fresh lime juice
- 1 dash bitters
- Top with club soda
Method: Stir all ingredients except club soda with ice. Strain into a rocks glass with new ice. Top with club soda and garnish with orange twist.
Between the Apple Trees
- 1.5 oz Neversink Apple Brandy
- .5 oz Wood’s Cider Mill Boiled Cider Syrup
- .5 oz lime juice
- .25 oz Nordic Rosehip Vinegar
- 1 dash Fee Brothers Walnut Bitters
Method: Shake all ingredients with pinch of fresh thyme leaves. Garnish with an apple fan and serve in a coupe glass.
(Created by Channing Ceteno)
- 1.5 oz cognac
- .5 oz St-Germain Elderflower Liqueur
- .25 oz Lola’s Mix (1 part tamarind, 1 part Calamansi and 1 part Pickled Mango)
- .25 oz ginger syrup
- 1 dash chili tincture
- 2 dash tiki salt
- 1 oz egg white
Method: Combine all ingredients in tin. Dry shake with 1 ice cube. Add 4 more ice cubes to tin and shake. Strain into a chilled short rocks glass that has been wrapped with a thin piece of banana leaf with no ice. Grate roasted and dehydrated garlic over top.
Mango Basil Margarita
(Created by Will Benedetto, Refinery Rooftop, New York City)
Method: Shake very hard with 5-6 ice cubes. No need to strain, just pour the entire contents of the shaker into a Tajin rimmed rocks glass.
*Mango Basil Puree
- 2 oz vodka
- 1500 g mango puree
- 300 g minced basil
- 400 g agave
What’s Up, Brock?
- 1.75 oz Brockmans Gin
- .75 oz Lejay Apricot Liqueur
- 1 oz carrot juice
- 5 fresh coriander leaves
Method: Add Brockmans Gin, Lejay Apricot Liqueur, carrot juice, and coriander leaves to a shaker of ice cubes and shake vigorously. Strain into a highball glass filled with ice cubes and garnish with the green stem of a carrot.
(Created at JSix, San Diego)
- 2 oz avocado-infused pisco
- .5 oz cilantro-jalapeño syrup
- .25 oz lemon juice
- .25 oz lime juice
- 1 dash orange bitters
Method: In a mixing tin, add all ingredients, shake, fine strain, and serve in glass.
(Created by Leo Robitschek for Campari Red Diaries, NoMad Hotel Los Angeles)
- .75 oz Campari
- .75 oz Sombra Mezcal
- .5 oz Cinzano Extra Dry Vermouth infused with coffee*
- .5 oz Cinzano Bianco Vermouth
- 2 dashes of absinthe
Method: Combine all the ingredients in a mixing glass, add ice, stir, and strain into a rocks glass with a large ice cube. Garnish with a grapefruit twist.
*Coffee-infused Vermouth: Macerate 5 oz of coarsely ground coffee in 750 ml of vermouth for 10 minutes. Strain and refrigerate.
Bacardí Blackberry Bramble
- 2 parts Bacardí Superior
- 1 part lemon juice
- .5 part simple syrup
- .5 part Crème de Mure
Method: Shake the first three ingredients vigorously with plenty of ice, strain into a glass, and drizzle Crème de Mure on top. Garnish with basil and blackberry skewer.
Blade and Bow “New” Fashioned
- 1.25 oz Blade and Bow Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- .75 oz elderflower liqueur
- .5 oz simple syrup
- Orange slice
Method: Muddle orange slice with simple syrup in a glass. Add whiskey and elderflower liqueur. Add ice and stir.
(Created by Hendrick’s Ambassador, Mattias Horseman)
- 2 parts Hendrick’s Gin
- 5 parts cucumber, kale, mint, and apple juice
- .75 parts lemon juice
- 1 part aloe juice
- Rinse of Malic Acid
Method: Shake and double strain. Garnish with fresh mini veggies and bay leaf hydrosol.
- 7 Best Tequila Cocktail Recipes in Fall 2020
- 8 Grilled Cocktails To Enjoy This Labor Day Weekend
- 6 Best Candy-Themed Drinks and Cocktails for Halloween
- How to Make the Controversial Singapore Sling Cocktail
- How To Transform 10 Classic Cocktails Into Frozen Drinks