It’s finally starting to look like spring (for some of us, we’re going straight from winter to summer, which we don’t hate, either) and that means grilling season is upon us. A great way to mark the start is one of our favorite reasons to drink: the coinciding of the Kentucky Derby and Cinco de Mayo. This year, for the first time in a decade, to the two fall on the same day, so if you’re like us, you’re already planning your Cinco de Derby-esque parties.
Aside from the mint juleps (here are our top whiskey suggestions here), and Cinco de Mayo-themed cocktails (we’ve got you covered on those too), you’re going to need something to eat while putting back liquor for a day. That’s where your grill comes in.
Below, you’ll find a simple recipe for tequila lime shrimp that is delicious no matter what the day. The fresh agave flavors from the tequila mixed with the spicy red pepper flakes and the zing from the lime juice make this a perfectly tasty (and perfectly easy) dish to whip up with very little prep or cook time involved (we’re talking 30 minutes, and that’s including the time that you’re soaking the wood skewers so that you don’t set your entire grill on fire).
- 2 oz Jose Cuervo Especial Silver
- 1 lb shrimp
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- .5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- .25 tsp ground cumin
- .25 tsp kosher salt and black pepper
- .25 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Wood skewers
- Mix together the lime juice, tequila, olive oil, garlic, salt, cumin, and black pepper in a bowl until well blended.
- Pour mixture into a large resealable plastic bag. Add the shrimp, seal the bag, and turn to coat evenly.
- Refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours before cooking.
- Soak wood skewers in water at least 30 minutes prior to cooking to prevent burning.
- Preheat broiler.
- Lightly oil a grill pan.
- Drain and discard marinade from shrimp.
- Thread shrimp on skewers.
- Cook on preheated grill until shrimp turn pink, turning once, for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
- The 13 Best Lunch Recipes for Supercharging Your Midday Meals
- 11 Best Dessert Recipes That Will Make You Crave More
- How To Make the LA Danger Dog, a Mexican Style Hot Dog, for Your Next Cookout
- 19 Delicious Appetizer Recipes To Cook for Your Next Dinner Party
- The 25 Best Restaurants in America to Try in 2021