Picture something for a second. It’s summer, you’re a kid, it’s hot as hell, and you’re just sitting outside doing absolutely nothing. Then, off in the distance, a tinkling. That tinkling slowly starts to get louder as the calliope music of the ice cream truck rolls closer and closer to your block. You’ve got your change, you’re ready. What do you choose?
If you’re like us, you had a favorite or two — usually one ice-based and one ice cream-based. On the ice side, it was hard to beat a bomb pop or one of those popsicles that had a gumball in the middle. On the ice cream side, was there anything better than a Choco Taco?
To us, there wasn’t. That is why we were so pumped when Plated, an ingredient delivery service, put out this recipe for how to make chocolate tacos at home. (Plates also has other amazing truck treats available, such as strawberry shortcake pops, here.)
Check out the chocolate taco recipe and get ready for all the nostalgia feels. Since we’re all adults now, you’ll also want to make sure you’re set on mains, too, so check out this simple recipe for delicious cheeseburgers.
- 2 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter, plus more for cooking
- 1/5 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, and salt.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together melted butter, milk, vanilla extract, and egg whites.
- Slowly pour wet mixture into flour mixture and fold to combine.
- Heat butter in a small nonstick pan over medium-high heat.
- When butter is foaming, add scant 1/2 cup batter to pan and gently swirl to spread batter around in pan.
- Cook, without moving, until bottom of shell is golden, about 2 minutes.
- Gently flip shell and cook on other side until golden, 1-2 minutes more.
- Quickly remove the shell from the pan and carefully fold it over the spine of a clean book.
- Press down gently and let it cool. Repeat with remaining batter.
Ice cream ingredients:
- 1 pint store-bought ice cream (your choice of flavor!)
Chocolate coating ingredients:
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Chopped salted and roasted peanuts (optional)
- Allow ice cream to soften at room temperature for about 5 minutes.
- Spoon ice cream into cooled shells and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Transfer filled tacos to freezer to set, about 30 minutes.
- Place chocolate and coconut oil in a medium heat-safe bowl.
- Microwave at 30-second intervals until chocolate is fully melted, stirring between each interval. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove tacos from freezer and pour drizzle over cooled chocolate mixture.
- Immediately sprinkle over chopped peanuts and other desired garnishes.
- Enjoy immediately or freeze again, tightly wrapped.