When it comes to side dishes that can double as main meals, is there anything better than macaroni and cheese? Not only do you have two of the best food groups — carbs and cheese — but you can customize it to fit the rest of the meal. You can easily go from a multi-cheese mac to a barbecue chicken mac and cheese to almost literally anything else (as long as you have the ingredients you want) if you needed to.
One of our favorite additions to mac and cheese is the king of the crustaceans, lobster. Soft, buttery lobster meat coated in melted cheese? How is that not the idea of side dish perfection? (Trick question, because it is side dish perfection.)
While it may be perfection, we realized something recently. It can be made even better. How? Cannabis, of course. A delicious meal that also relaxes us? Sign us up yesterday.
This recipe for cannabis-infused lobster mac and cheese heese comes to us from Joline Rivera, founder and creator of the magazine, Kitchen Toke, which is the definitive source for cooking with cannabis for health and wellness (we’re all for the idea that cheese and carbs promote wellness). Specifically, the recipe comes from the upcoming winter 2018 issue, which features a slew of holiday-themed, cannabis-infused dishes.
We don’t know about you, but if someone brought this to our holiday table, we’d love family gatherings more than ever. Or, if your family isn’t into it, maybe make some for before you head over to the parents’ house as a preparatory measure.
Cannabis Lobster Mac and Cheese
(Makes 8 to 10 servings, each about 8 mg THC)
- 2 lobsters, about 1.5 pounds each
- 1 lb gouda, grated
- .5 lb cheddar, grated
- .75 lb cavatappi pasta
- 25 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp cannabutter, melted
- 1 tbsp Dijon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and pepper, as needed
- Plunge lobsters into boiling water for 2 minutes until they stop moving. Remove with tongs. Separate tail and claws from the body. Cook claws for 4 minutes more and tails 6 minutes more. Transfer to ice bath to cool.
- Remove meat over a small bowl to reserve juices; chop into bite-sized chunks. Set aside.
- Bring pot of salted water to boil, add pasta and par cook, about 4 minutes. Drain.
- Puree ricotta, add milk, cream, cannabutter, mustard, and cayenne. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add grated cheeses and pasta.
- Transfer to a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish, cover with foil, and bake in a preheated 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Uncover, stir in lobster meat and juices, and continue baking 20 to 25 more minutes.
- Elevate Your Game with These Super Bowl Party Food Ideas
- A Brief History of Chili with Chef-Inspired Recipes: Texas v. North Carolina
- 5 Seductively Delicious Aphrodisiac Recipes You Can Cook at Home
- 3 Keto Recipes: Nachos, Fried Chicken, and Philly Cheesesteak
- Say Cheese: Your Guide to the Most Popular Cheeses in America