When it comes to Cinco de Mayo — the holiday that has been celebrated since 1863 in honor of the Mexican Army’s defeat of the French at the Battle of Puebla the year before — most people default to mixing up margaritas.
Sure, you could do that. But you could also put a little more effort into the cocktails you are making on any given day. It doesn’t matter if you have any connection to the historical roots of Cinco de Mayo — the least you can do is show some respect by putting in more effort. Below, you’ll find some delicious Cinco de May drinks to fulfill all of your needs, most of which feature an agave-based spirit (aka tequila or mezcal).
- 1.5 oz Casa Noble Añejo Tequila
- .5 oz lemon juice
- .5 oz lime juice
- .25 oz Green Chartreuse
- .5 oz simple syrup
- Lemon peel
Method: Place all ingredients, except lemon peel, in glass. Sdd ice and swizzle. Squeeze lemon peel; rub around rim and drop into glass.
- 2 oz Jalapeño-infused Corralejo Silver Tequila
- .75 oz Chambord Liqueur
- 2 oz sweet and sour mix
- .75 oz blueberry syrup
- 3 skewered blueberries, to garnish
- Pop Rocks, for rim
Method: Fill shaker with ice. Measure and pour all ingredients into the shaker. Shake well. Pour entire contents of shaker into garnished bucket glass.
(Created by Houston Eaves, Esquire Tavern, San Antonio)
- .75 oz Wahaka Espadín mezcal
- .75 oz Xtabentún honey liqueur
- .75 oz Cocchi Aperitivo Americano
- .75 oz fresh grapefruit juice
- Grapefruit twist
Method: Combine all ingredients in a shaker tin with ice and shake well. Strain into a coupe glass. Express the oil from a grapefruit swath over the top of the drink for aromatics and garnish with grapefruit twist.
(Created by Jaime Salas, Milagro Tequila National Ambassador)
- 1 part Milagro Silver
- .75 parts ginger hibiscus syrup (dried hibiscus, fresh ginger, and sugar)
- .5 part fresh lime juice
- Club soda to top
- Fruit and candied ginger to garnish
Method: Combine all ingredients, except the club soda, into a shaker with ice. Shake and strain into highball glass filled with fresh ice. Top with club soda. Garnish with a lime wedge or grapefruit round and candied ginger.
- 2 oz Volcan Tequila Blanco
- 1.5 oz grapefruit juice
- .75 oz lime juice
- .75 oz agave syrup
- Pinch of salt
- Soda to top (grapefruit flavored sparkling water or grapefruit soda)
Method: Combine first five ingredients; shake and serve over ice. Top with choice of soda water.
(Created by Eric Trousdale, Arbella, Chicago)
- 1.5 oz Avión Silver tequila
- .5 oz Cynar
- .5 oz simple syrup
- .5 oz fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
Method: Shake all ingredients over ice and strain into double rocks glass over once large ice cube. Garnish with grapefruit peel.
The Rising Sol
(Created at Casa Tua Cucina at Saks Brickell City Centre, Miami)
- 1.5 oz Casamigos Reposado Tequila
- .75 oz fresh lime juice
- .5 oz agave nectar
- .5 oz roasted spicy pineapple syrup
- Pomegranate seeds and pineapple leaves to garnish
- Ginger beer to float
Method: Muddle pomegranate seeds in tin shaker. Add all other ingredients except the ginger beer and shake for 8-10 seconds. Double strain into glass and add ice. Top with ginger beer float and garnish with pomegranate seeds and pineapple leaves.
And for those that want something other than an agave spirit …
- 2 oz The Botanist Gin
- 1 oz Cointreau
- 1 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 drops homemade orange bitters
- 2 strips julienned red bell pepper
Method: In a shaker, muddle the red bell pepper. Add all remaining ingredients. Shake without ice vigorously, then add ice and shake briskly. Strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with a strip of julienned Red Bell Pepper.
- 2 oz Crater Lake Sweet Ginger Vodka
- .5 oz pineapple juice
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
Method: In a cocktail shaker, muddle leaves of 1 sprig of thyme. A dd ginger vodka and pineapple juice. Fill with ice and shake well. Strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a thyme sprig.
- National Margarita Day is Here and You’re Going to Need these Recipes
- 10 Delectable Mother’s Day Cocktails to Make for Mom this Weekend
- Celebrate National Cocktail Day with these Refreshing Spring Cocktail Recipes
- Easy Cocktail Recipes You Need to Know
- The Ultimate List of St. Patrick’s Day Cocktails