Which new bourbon are we pumped about? What does it take to be a master journeyman? Where are we excited to travel to next? Each week, The Manual Podcast invites an expert, artisan, or craftsman for a roundtable discussion on what’s new, exciting, and unique in their trade.
Holden, a third-generation lobsterman, had taken a step away from the business to work in finance for a little before finding his way back to the lobster business when he realized he couldn’t get a good lobster roll for a decent price in New York City. Then, after advertising on Craig’s List — yes, Craig’s List — he met Conniff, and the two began to hatch out out the plan that would become Luke’s Lobster.
What started as an East Village shop soon grew into more shops, then, with the COVID-19 crisis impacting every facet of life, they launched an online shop to provide high-quality lobster (as well as other seafood) to hungry customers around the country.
In the episode, Holden and Conniff discuss what that ride was like, how they got where they are now, and just what makes Maine lobster so damn special. Not only that, but the iconic lobster meal, the lobster roll, is discussed (and what makes a Maine style roll the epitome of the sandwich).
You will be hungry after this one, we guarantee it.
Do you love lobster? Do you hate lobster? Do you have a favorite way to prepare it if you do love it? Let us know. We want to hear from you. If you ever have a question or comment for The Manual Podcast folks, give us a shout at firstname.lastname@example.org — we’re always around! Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter so you can join the discussion. Don’t forget, too, to rate and review the podcast where you download it.
- A Cannabis-Infused Lobster Mac and Cheese Recipe For 4/20
- How to Make Boxed Mac and Cheese Better
- How to Cook Lobster: An Easy Guide to Boiling, Grilling, and Roasting
- Which Lobster Roll Style Reigns Supreme: Connecticut or Maine?
- Talking Kerchiefs, COVID, and More with Colin Hanks
- Vodka, Iceland, and More With Reyka Vodka Ambassador Trevor Schneider
- Serving Up a Slice of Pizza Knowledge with Upside Pizza’s Noam Grossman
- Talking Television, French Cuisine, and More with David Burke
- Serving Up True Italian Cuisine with John DeLucie