After a long day of work, the last thing most people want to do is cook an elaborate meal. Sure, it may taste delicious, but the time and effort it takes probably won’t justify it no matter how good of a chef you are. What you need, then, is something fast and easy that is also delicious. Enter chicken teriyaki.
Now, you could make this a little more complicated — you could make your own teriyaki sauce or dice your own vegetables — but we’re not about that in this case. Instead, all you need to do is buy pre-made sauce and frozen chopped vegetables. Then in under a half-hour, you can have a nice, fresh meal that looks like it came from your local hibachi joint (sans pageantry, of course, unless you added that in yourself). As long as you hide the bags that the veggies came in, this could also easily be turned into a great date meal, as you cover the different food groups and you won’t feel weighed down after.
Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry Recipe
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 bag stir fry vegetables
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Chili oil, optional
- Set rice to cook on the stovetop, in a rice cooker, or an Instant Pot (our personal favorite method) according to the instructions before cooking the rest. For more flavorful rice, add a cube of chicken bouillon to the rice while cooking it.
- Pre-cook stir-fry vegetables and set aside (using a steam-in-a-bag option is great here).
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add chicken and stir occasionally, cooking until a light brown in color. The chicken should be cooked, but not all the way through (around eight to 10 minutes).
- Add stir-fry vegetables and sauce.
- Stir to mix and simmer until chicken is cooked thoroughly (another five to eight minutes or so).
- Serve on top of rice and garnish with sesame seeds.
- Nose-to-Tail: 3 Offal Recipes From Chefs Who Do It Right
- Switch Up Your Pasta Routine with this Delicious Gnocchi Recipe
- 8 of the Healthiest Microwavable Meals for Thinner TV Dinners
- How to Make the Perfect Lasagna Bolognese, According to a Chef
- Southwestern Stuffed Mushrooms Are a March Madness Slam Dunk Snack