Which new bourbon are we pumped about? What does it take to be a master journeyman? Where are we excited to travel to next? Each week, The Manual Podcast invites an expert, artisan, or craftsman for a roundtable discussion on what’s new, exciting, and unique in their trade.
For this week’s episode of The Manual Podcast, food and drink editor Sam Slaughter and stunning stylist of syllables Greg Nibler sit down with Christian Krogstad, founder and distiller of House Spirits Distillery, to talk all about the Scandanavian delight, aquavit. Specifically, they chat about Krogstad Aquavit.
This time around, it’s Greg that gets to try something in the studio! During their discussion of aquavit, Greg tries both iterations of Krogstad Aquavit (both the unaged and aged versions) while learning about what exactly the spirit is, what ingredients need to be in it for it to be considered aquavit (typically caraway, dill, or both), and how best to consume the spirit.
On the subject of consuming it, Krogstad discusses how aquavit has seen a surge in popularity thanks to cocktail bartenders across the country who are utilizing the spirit in everything from riffs on classics such as The Last Word to wholly new creations (including Tiki drinks).
If you’ve never heard of aquavit, or have and but only in passing and want to learn, then this episode is for you.
Have you had aquavit before? Do you prefer it neat or in a cocktail? If in a cocktail, exactly what kind? Let us know. If you ever have a question or comment for The Manual Podcast folks, give us a shout at email@example.com — we’re always around! Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter and keep an eye out for podcast polls so you can join the discussion.
- A Guide to Slivovitz, Eastern Europe’s Favorite Brandy
- Meet Gin’s Scandinavian Cousin: Aquavit
- A History of Brennivín Aquavit: The Black Death of Iceland
- Get to Know Strega, the Saffron-Infused Italian Liqueur
- Talking American Brandy with Washington’s Mastrogiannis Distillery
- The Manual Podcast Throwbacks: Revisiting our 50th Episode and Portland, Oregon
- What You Need to Know About Sherry, According to an Expert
- Learning About Finger Wrestling, Mountain Cheese, and More Fun from Germany
- The Business of Delivering Booze to Your Door, According to Drizly’s Founders