Tomorrow is National Margarita Day, and that means people everywhere will be breaking out their tall-stemmed, wide-bowled margarita glasses, pouring countless ounces of cheap sugary mix over ice, and pretending that the neon green liquid in their glass is a margarita and not just Ecto-Cooler’s weird older brother that the family never talks about.
Those cheap margaritas aren’t good enough for us here at The Manual, though, and they shouldn’t be good enough for you either (college is over, after all). This National Margarita Day, celebrate in style with these innovative and delicious takes on one of the most canonical cocktails out there.
(Created for La Esquina, NYC, pictured left)
- 1.5 oz Jalapeño infused Tequila
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- 1 oz Fresh Cucumber Puree
- .5 oz Agave Nectar
Method: Combine and shake.
(Created by Andrea Correale of Elegant Affairs)
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons tequila blanco
- ¾ cup triple sec
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest, divided
- 1 lime wedge
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 8 lime wheels for garnish
Method: Toss salt and 1 tsp. lime zest on a small plate. Rub the rim of each margarita glass with lime wedge and dip into salt mixture. Purée avocado, tequila, triple sec, lime juice, cilantro, cayenne, remaining 1 tsp. lime zest, and 2½ cups ice, preferably crushed, in a blender until smooth. Divide among prepared glasses and garnish each with a lime wheel. Serves 8.
Gilt City of Angels Margarita
- 1.25 oz IXA silver tequila
- .5 oz Fruitlab orange liqueur
- .25 oz Fruitlab hibiscus liqueur
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 1 oz fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 4 dashes of Bar Keep lavender bitters
Method: Rim a glass with lavender-infused salt; add ice. Combine ingredients with ice in shaker and shake. Strain over ice and enjoy.
Pineapple Cilantro Margarita
- 2 oz Casamigos Reposado Tequila
- 1 oz Pineapple Juice
- .5 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- .5 oz Cane Sugar
- 8-10 Cilantro Leaves
- Optional: 1/2 Thick Rim Sugar, Cilantro Salt (equal parts)
Method: Combine all ingredients into tin shaker. Add ice. Shake vigorously for 8-10 seconds. Strain into rocks glass. Add ice. Garnish with 2 pineapple leaves.
Spicy Habanero Margarita
(Created for The Flying Cock, NYC)
- 1.5 oz habanero-infused tequila (made in-house; habaneros steep in tequila for 12 hours)
- ¾ oz agave nectar
- ½ oz lime juice
- ½ oz orange juice
- Lime wedge for garnish (optional)
- Minced habanero for garnish (optional)
Method: Combine habanero-infused tequila, agave nectar, lime juice, orange juice and ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake, then strain into 10 oz highball glass filled with fresh ice and garnish with a lime wedge and minced habanero, if desired.
Cardamom Cadillac Margarita
- 2 oz Casa Noble Crystal
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 1 oz cardamom-infused agave nectar
- 3/4 oz of Cardamaro (cardoon liquor)
Method: Rim an old fashioned glass with cardamom kosher salt. Combine first three ingredients with a handful of cracked ice in a Boston shaker. Shake vigorously for 20 seconds until tin gets frosty. Add fresh ice to the cardamom rimmed glass. Strain the contents of the shaker into the salt-rimmed glass over the fresh ice. Float ¾ oz of Cardamaro (cardoon liquor) over the top of the cocktail. Garnish with sliced lime and whole cardamom pods.
The Coconut Smash
- 2 ounces 1800 Tequila Coconut
- 3 slices papaya
- ¼ ounce honey
- Pinch of basil
- 1/4 lime
Method: Add all ingredients to shaker. Shake and strain into highball glass. Garnish with basil sprig.
Smoked Pear Margarita
(Created by Charlotte Voisey)
- 1.5 oz Milagro Silver
- ¾ oz Montelobos Mezcal
- 1 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- ¾ oz Agave Nectar
- ½ Fresh Pear Juice (muddle from ripe fruit)
- 2 Dashes Apple Bitters
Method: Garnish with a dehydrated pear slice and a sprinkle of sea salt. Combine ingredients and shake well.
Herradura Sandia Fresca
- 2 Parts Tequila Herradura Ultra
- 1 Part Fresh Watermelon Juice
- 5 Part Mezcal Joven
- 5 Part Fresh Lime Juice
- 25 Part Agave Nectar
- Watermelon Wedge (Garnish)
Method: Shake all ingredients and strain into rocks glass with large ice cubes with watermelon garnish.
- 4 oz. Izze Sparkling Clementine
- 1/1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ oz tequila
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ jalepeno diced (plus more for garnish)
- Sea salt
Method: Mix sea salt and cayenne pepper together on a small plate. Rim a margarita glass with salt and cayenne pepper mixture. Add tequila, lime juice, and diced jalapeño to a shaker. Muddle all ingredients in shaker, then add ice. Shake and strain into ice-filled margarita glass. Top with IZZE Sparkling Clementine. Garnish with more jalapeños for an extra kick!
Go Big or Go Home: Smokin’ Volcano Margarita
(Created by Masa Urushido, Saxon + Parole, NYC)
- 2 parts Tres Agaves Añejo Tequila
- ¾ parts fresh lime juice
- ¼ part smoky simple syrup*
- Lava salt and dried red chili pepper for garnish
Method: Shake all ingredients with ice and strain over fresh ice in rocks glass. Garnish.
- 8 Grilled Cocktails To Enjoy This Labor Day Weekend
- How To Transform 10 Classic Cocktails Into Frozen Drinks
- Best Savory Dishes To Make With Pumpkin, According To Chefs
- 6 Best Candy-Themed Drinks and Cocktails for Halloween
- 9 Picnic Dishes That Travel Well And Deliver On Flavor