Which new bourbon are we pumped about? What does it take to be a master journeyman? Where are we excited to travel to next? Each week, The Manual Podcast invites an expert, artisan, or craftsman for a roundtable discussion on what’s new, exciting, and unique in their trade.
Coming from the corporate sector, Bitton worked in various spaces — including opening a trendy cafe in New York City — before helping establish Shoo Shoo. Most recently, he helped establish the CLEAN program, a health and wellness program that incorporates a 21-day cleanse to refresh and rejuvenate the body and mind based on the work of a friend of his, Dr. Alejandro Junger.
After a few years with the company — including a shoutout from Gwenyth Paltrow on her Goop platform that propelled the brand to incredible heights — Bitton sold his share and took a year off to spend time with family and do some surfing. Then, about a year later, he felt the urge to be doing “something” again. Shoo Shoo came about, he says, after spending a long time walking by the same corner spot, a spot he would think about as perfect for a new restaurant or cafe.
Modeled on a bohemian Tel Aviv cafe, Shoo Shoo not only embodies the aesthetic of Tel Aviv, but the food and culture as well — as was the intent. Bitton takes us through what it takes to envision, enact, and eventually open a restaurant, as well as how to tell if it is going to go well for the business.
Have you been to Tel Aviv and gotten to engage in the lively food and drink scene? Live in NoLita and need a new place to go? Let us know. We want to hear from you. If you ever have a question or comment for The Manual Podcast folks, give us a shout at email@example.com — we’re always around! Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter so you can join the discussion. Don’t forget, too, to rate and review the podcast where you download it.
- A Quick Guide to Understanding Israeli Wine
- These Eggplant Schnitzels Are Great for Both Meat-Eaters and Vegetarians
- Israel Travel Guide: What to Know, Where to Go, and How to Get There
- Exploring Israeli Cuisine Through 5 Quintessential Foods
- Talking Television, French Cuisine, and More with David Burke
- Brandon League Chats Baseball, Hawaii, and the Freedom of Designing Clothes
- Learning Everything We Can About Oysters and Drink Pairings
- The Craft, Art, and Journey of Woodworking, According to a Master Craftsman
- Murray Carter Tells Us What It Takes to be a Master Bladesmith in the Modern Era