Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it’s important to do it up right. If going out to brunch is not on the table, then breakfast ends up being a bit lame. Soggy, box-made pancakes with fake syrup or, if you’re feeling extra lazy, a bowl of cereal.
As we’ve said many times, everything has a time and a place. For us, though, breakfast means starting the day on the right foot (maybe even with a Bloody Mary). If we need to wake up, our immediate thought —aside from a steaming cup of Joe — is that we want something spicy. Not cry-into-the-corner-of-your-robe-and-pretend-it’s-allergies spicy, but piquant enough to feel awake.
That’s why we reached out to the fine folks of Zia Green Chile Company (known across the country for their hatch chiles) to see how they start their day. Below, you will find an amazing chicken bacon Sswiss sandwich recipe for those looking for some meat to start the day, as well as a breakfast skillet that can be made vegetarian by taking out the bacon. (If it were up to us, we’d put more bacon in, but we won’t judge either way.)
Zia Hatch Chicken Bacon Swiss Croissant
Ingredients for Vegan Hatch Avocado Aioli
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 jar hatch chile
- 1 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 squeezed lime
- Dash of olive oil
- Pinch of minced garlic
Ingredients for Sandwich:
- 1 croissant
- 1 boneless chicken breast
- 3 strips thick-cut bacon
- 1 slice swiss cheese
- Olive pil
- Blend together ingredients for the Vegan Hatch Avocado Aioli.
- Slice croissant in half.
- Heat up oil in a cast iron skillet.
- Rub chicken breast in oil, douse with salt.
- Cook chicken breast until tender. Cook bacon until evenly brown. Simultaneously butter both sides of each croissant half.
- Set aside chicken breast and bacon once done, reduce to low heat.
- Let buttered croissant simmer on skillet for 15-20 seconds.
- Remove from skillet. Place chicken, swiss cheese, and bacon on bottom croissant half.
- Douse in vegan Hatch Avocado Aioli and add top half.
Zia Hatch Chile Breakfast Skillet
- 4 eggs
- 1 potato
- .5 bell pepper, diced
- .5 onion, diced
- .25 lb bacon
- 5 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 3 tbsp of Zia Hatch Green Chile
- .5 tbsp of butter
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Crack 4 large eggs into a mixing bowl, whisk, and set aside all other ingredients.
- Cook bacon until evenly brown in a deep skillet, then set bacon aside.
- Add potatoes into the skillet, cook until they start to brown, then add other ingredients and cook until tender.
- Reduce to low heat and throw in whisked egg mixture and cheese.
- Cook and turn until eggs start to set and cheese melts.
- Season with salt and black pepper
- This Will Be Your Dad’s New Favorite Pork Chop Recipe
- This Healthy Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe is Paleo, Whole 30, and Delicious
- This May Be the Most Simple (and Delicious) Burger Recipe Ever
- Spice up Your Grill Game with this Chorizo Burger Recipe (and Some Malbec)
- Bring a Taste of Spanish Tapas to Your Table with the Boqueria Cookbook