Today is National Bloody Mary Day, which—of all the booze-related “holidays”—seems to be one of the most appropriate. For most of us, January 1st is probably a day that we’ll spend hungover, not just from trying to make sense of the year that was 2016, but also from the massive amounts of beer, wine, champagne, and cocktails we consumed last night to celebrate the end of the aforementioned year.
So, to honor the first liquor-themed holiday of the year, we’ve collected some new Bloody Mary recipes to help start the year off right. Or, if not right, at least a little better than it was before you mixed a drink.
Seaside Bloody Mary
(Created by Mitchell’s Fish Market-Seafood Restaurant and Bar in Edgewater, NJ)
- 2 oz Tito’s Handmade Vodka
- 5 oz Demitri’s Bloody Mary Mix
- 1 Pepperoncini
- 1 Lime Wedge
- 1 Pickled Green Bean
- 1 Queen Stuffed Olive
Method: Tumble ingredient’s once and pour back into glass. Skewer garnishes on a clear prism pick.
Effen Vodka Bloody Mary
- 2 parts Effen Cucumber Vodka
- 4 parts Tomato Juice
- 2 Basil Leaves (torn)
- ¾ part Bloody Mary Seasoning
Method: Build ingredients in order listed and shake. Pour into a serving glass with ice. Garnish with cucumber and basil leaf.
The Bloody Watson
(Created by Jack Playfair, Watson’s Bay Hotel, Sydney)
- 1 oz Patrón Añejo
- 1 oz Patrón Silver
- Bloody Mary mix (horseradish, half a lemon of lemon juice, 1 twist of salt, 2 twists of pepper, 200ml tomato juice, 2 dashes of Tabasco, 3 dashes of Worcestershire sauce)
- Dash pickle juice
- Garnishes: Celery stalk, Cucumber slice, Pickle slice
Method: Shake tequilas over ice and pour into highball glass filled with ice. Top with Bloody Mary Mix and pickle juice. Garnish with celery, cucumber, and pickle.
Bloody and Green
(Created by Sam Slaughter)
- 2 oz elit by Stoli Vodka
- 4 oz Tomato juice
- 1 oz Cynar
- 5 oz Dill pickle juice
- 3 Dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Dried snack-size seaweed sheets
- Black pepper
Method: In a shaker, mix liquid ingredients. Chop one of the seaweed sheets and add both that and the black pepper. Shake well and pour over ice. Cut a slit in second seaweed sheet (be careful, as they’re fragile) and slide onto the rim of the glass.
- 6 Essential Tequila Cocktail Recipes You Need to Know
- 10 Refreshing Labor Day Cocktail Recipes to Salute the End of Summer
- Celebrate National Tequila Day with These Awesome Agave Cocktails
- 4 Inventive Spritz Cocktail Recipes That Don’t Use Aperol
- 10 Best Bottles of Bloody Mary Mix for When You Can’t Make Your Own