Summer is almost (finally) upon us and that means we’re switching out our palates for fresher flavors in a variety of different mediums. (Sorry hot cocoa, we’ll see you in October-ish.) That means that we’re about to welcome a wonderful staple of summertime back for another go-round: popsicles.
In the grand scheme of summertime snacks, popsicles are hard to beat. Not only do they provide a respite from the heat, but you can literally make them in any flavor your mind can come up with. There are the old standby, Otterpops, but as classy adults, it’s time to move beyond those — at least some of the time. That’s where the New York City establishment La Newyorkina comes in.
Not only are you getting a popsicle, you’re getting one that a) has booze in it and b) is packed with fresh yet spicy flavors. If you’re looking for a popsicle that will be simultaneously hot and cold, well, this one is going to be hard to beat.
Can’t make it to New Yorkina to try one there (where it’ll be served in a hibiscus chile rimmed cup topped with candied sliced serrano chilis and sold for $4.50)? Don’t you worry. We’ve got you covered with this delicious alcoholic popsicle recipe.
While it isn’t part of the recipe per se, we had some fun dipping our paletas in more Ancho Verde while eating them. Or, if you want to mix the flavor up, dipping them in Montelobos Mezcal is also a damn good idea.
Cucumber Ancho Verde Paletas
(Makes about 8)
- 5 Persian cucumbers
- 1.5 cup fresh lime juice
- .75 cup Ancho Verde Chile Liqueur
- .75 cup sugar
- .75 cup water
- Large pinch of salt
- Peel half of the cucumbers and dice them coarsely.
- Pulse with the rest of the ingredients in a blender just until they are incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into popsicle molds, making sure to leave at least a half-inch of room at the top.
- Place the molds in the freezer until the pops are beginning to set, about 45-60 minutes. Insert 2-3 cucumber slices in each one. If using conventional molds, snap on the lid and freeze until solid, 3 to 4 hours. If using glasses or other unconventional molds, insert the sticks and freeze until solid, 3 to 4 hours.
- Dip molds fully in warm water for 5-10 seconds to loosen paleta and pull up to unmold.
- Easy Cocktail Recipes You Need to Know
- New Music Preview: Courtney Barnett, Leon Bridges, and Jon Hopkins
- The Best Bottles of Rum You Can Get for $20 or Less
- New Music Preview: Willie Nelson, Janelle Monáe, and Twin Shadow
- Hot Wheels Celebrates 50th Anniversary with U.S. Tour in Search of New Models