Are you sporting a longer hairstyle these days? Trying out a new style? Just want your hair to look different (or better)? If you’re experimenting with longer styles, unlike shorter cuts, the extra length requires additional upkeep. Knowing how to properly blow dry your hair is one way to keep your long, luscious locks healthy in between cuts. It’s not necessary to drop a lot of money on a top-of-the-line hair dryer, as many inexpensive options dry and style hair just as well.
- Best overall hair dryer: BaBylissPRO Ceramix Xtreme
- Best luxury hair dryer: Dyson Supersonic
- Best budget hair dryer: Remington D3190 Damage Protection
- Best travel hair dryer: Conair Compact With Folding Handle
- Best hair dryer for thick hair: Paul Mitchell Neuro Tourmaline Hair Dryer
- Best for drying and styling at once: Revlon One-Step Hair Dryer and Styler
- Other things to consider when picking out a hair dryer
However, if you want to level up your grooming game, consider getting a professional-grade hair dryer with the technology and attachments to help reduce drying time, eliminate frizz, and add shine. It pays to be discerning with your grooming tools if you want to extend the life of your hairstyle, or if you just want it to look good. That’s why we’ve put together a list of the best hair dryers for men featuring our top choices across various price points for you to take your pick.
The well-rated BaBylissPRO Ceramix Xtreme is an excellent choice for all hair types. Its powerful (but quiet) 2,000-watt AC motor cuts drying time by almost half. It uses porcelain ceramic technology to help distribute heat evenly, reducing frizz. While this hair dryer is on the heavier side, several customers claim the BaBylissPRO Ceramix Xtreme is otherwise easy to handle. Other perks are it has a 9-foot cord and it’s not terribly expensive, either.
If you’re keen to go all-in on a hair dryer, look no further than the Dyson Supersonic. You may be paying for the Dyson name here, but you’re also paying for the Dyson technology. The Supersonic hair dryer features intelligent heat control to prevent damage, as well as a Dyson V9 digital motor for faster drying time. It includes magnetic styling attachments like a diffuser, a wide-tooth comb, and a concentrator. Plus, its unconventional and lightweight build makes it easy to toss in a carry-on or overnight bag to bring it wherever you go.
The Remington D3190 Damage Protection Hair Dryer is one of the most affordable options out there — and it’s also among the highest rated on Amazon. It features a ceramic, ionic, and tourmaline grill to help condition your hair while freeing it from frizz. This Remington hair dryer has three heat settings, two speed settings, and a cool shot button to lock in your style. Concentrator and diffuser attachments are included for added precision and lift.
Avoid the shock of arriving at your hotel room and not finding a working hair dryer by bringing your own with you. We recommend the Conair Compact Hair Dryer with a folding handle that will fit in your luggage with ease and has dual voltage to be able to use it on international trips, though you’ll need a separate travel adapter. With two heat/speed settings plus a cool shot button, this Conair travel hair dryer will keep your mane looking fresh on the go, wherever that is.
The Paul Mitchell Neuro Tourmaline Hair Dryer may be more of a splurge purchase, but it’s well worth the investment for men with longer, thicker hair. Its tourmaline ions add shine and eliminate frizz while reducing the overall drying time. Other features include four heat settings, a cool shot button, and a SmartSense microchip so you’ll know when to clean the filter, which is important to maintain good airflow. It comes with two attachments, a diffuser, and a concentrator.
If you don’t want to have to hold a brush and your hair dryer, then the Revlon One-Step Hair Dryer and Styler will be your buddy. You’ll detangle, brush, style, and dry your hair with one tool, all at once. This is going to be best for straight or wavy hair, and not the best if you have curls. This one has ionic technology so your finished look will have that shine and smoothness you want without that annoying static cling that sometimes comes after drying your hair. You’ll have two heat options/speeds to mess with, a cool option, and a 6-foot cord to give you a bit of room to work with.
When shopping for a new hair dryer, it’s important to consider certain criteria so your hair doesn’t look limp, frizzled, or fried.
- Wattage: The higher the wattage, the more powerful the hair dryer. In other words. the heat will come out faster and warmer — which means less time required to style. As a general rule of thumb, shoot for a hair dryer with at least 1,800 watts of power, although men with longer, thicker hair could go for something higher.
- Heat and speed settings: How you intend to use your hair dryer may vary from use to use, which is why the ability to adjust heat and speed is important. Plus, variable heat settings make the hair dryer more versatile — thicker hair withstands higher temperatures while finer hair should stick with low-to-moderate heat.
- Attachments: Hair dryer attachments help you achieve the style you want while adding shine and eliminating flyaways. Most models come with a concentrator, a flat nozzle that allows you to dry one section at a time. Your hair dryer may also include a diffuser (best for curly hair), pick (to add volume), and/or attachments that look similar to brushes.
- Technology: This refers to the components found in dryers to help protect and style hair. These include ionic (best for battling frizz and flyaways), ceramic (evenly distributes infrared heat), and tourmaline (locks in moisture).
It may seem like picking out the best hair dryer for men is an easy job. Walk into the store, just grab one off the shelf, and you’re done. But depending on the type of hair you have and what you want the end style of your hair to look like, it’s going to take a little more time and research to make sure you have a good match for those strands on your head. Find your setting from one of the dryers on our list and take your hairstyle up a notch.
- Why does hair turn gray? We know why – and what to do about it
- The best beard styles for older men: This is the definitive list
- The 9 best beard styles for bald men: Follow these Hollywood leading men
- There’s more than one type of buzz cut — 5 incredible ideas for your hair
- The 7 best fragrances for men (no matter what your favorite scent profile is)