Today is Bastille Day (known as La fête nationale or Le quatorze juillet in France) and it is a celebration that commemorates the storming of the Bastille, which occurred on July 14, 1789, and marked the start of the French Revolution. Across France today, there are parades and celebrations of all sorts, but just because you’re not on the streets of Paris watching fireworks over the Eiffel Tower, doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate, too. We’ve put together a few French and France-inspired cocktails to get you in the mood. So mix these up and get ready to shout a hearty Vive la France with these Bastille Day Drinks!
(Created at Le Coq Rico, New York, pictured)
- 5 oz Grey Goose Vodka
- .5 oz Remy Martin 1738 Cognac
- .5 oz Raspberry Syrup
- .25 oz Baileys Irish Cream
- .25 oz Lemon Juice
- 1 Bar Spoon chocolate
- Crushed assorted Chocolate and Red Almond rim
- Raspberry garnish
Method: Rim the glass with crushed chocolate and red almonds and pour raspberry syrup on bottom of glass. Mix other ingredients and pour into glass, garnish with raspberry.
- 1.5 oz gin
- .75 oz fresh lemon juice
- .5 oz simple syrup
- 2 oz brut Champagne, chilled
- lemon twist for garnish
Method: Shake gin, lemon juice and simple syrup together with ice for twenty seconds. Strain into chilled Champagne flute and top with Champagne. Garnish with lemon twist.
The French Blonde
- .5 oz. St-Germain
- 1 oz. dry gin
- 2 oz. Lillet Blanc
- 2 oz. fresh grapefruit juice
- 2-3 dashes lemon bitters
Method: Shake really well with ice for around thirty seconds. Strain into a martini glass.
- 2 oz cognac or Armagnac
- .75 oz Cointreau
- .75 oz lemon juice
- Lemon twistfor garnish
Method: Shake well with ice and strain into chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with lemon twist.
Related: Sultry Summer Cocktails
Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims, families, and all those impacted by the events this week in Nice.
- 3 Revitalizing Rosé Cocktail Recipes You Need to Master This Summer
- How to Drink Whiskey: A Beginner’s Guide
- 20 Easy Cocktail Recipes That You Can Make at Home
- The 3 Best Scotch Breakfast Cocktail Recipes to Kickstart Your Morning
- 4 Inventive Spritz Cocktail Recipes That Don’t Use Aperol