Lotus Cars Will Get a Massive Cash Injection to Compete With Porsche

lotus cars
Lotus Cars/Facebook

For all but a brief period early in the company’s history, Lotus Cars has always been on the brink of financial ruin. Despite the automaker’s rich motorsport history (including seven Formula One wins) and long list of brilliant road cars (like the Lotus Seven, Elan, and Elise, to name a few), scandal and missteps always seem to plague Lotus’ health.

Today, Lotus Cars is hardly a blip on the automotive industry radar. In Europe, where the brand sells three models — Evora 400, Evora Sport 410, and 3-Eleven — Lotus found buyers for just 783 vehicles last year. In America, the company’s last reported sales year saw just 80 new car deliveries. To put those figures into perspective, Porsche’s 718 Cayman (a direct competitor to the Lotus Evora) sold three times more units in the U.S. in 2017 than Lotus Cars’ global sales the same year.

Lotus isn’t riding on the struggle bus, it’s driving it … for now. Last year, China’s Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co. (known simply as “Geely”) purchased a 51 percent stake in Lotus Cars, with its Malaysian partner, Etika Automotive, taking the remaining 49 percent. Until now, we’ve been waiting to see what Geely would do with Lotus — especially considering the transformation it has put Volvo through in the past few years (Geely also owns Volvo). Now the pieces are coming together.

According to Bloomberg, Geely plans to increase its stake in Lotus and drop about $1.9 billion into the brand. “Geely is fully committed to restoring Lotus into being a leading global luxury brand,” the automaker said in a statement. The company will specifically target Ferrari and Porsche in its plans for performance luxury vehicle domination.

That giant chunk of cash will reportedly be directed to building new production facilities and research centers in the United Kingdom. It would also make sense for Geely to expand manufacturing in its home Chinese market. What production cars will this investment yield in the future? If we look to Lotus’ claimed rivals, we can guess Geely is planning a sporty crossover or two, a new convertible (most likely a next-gen Elise), and a four-door sedan.

Travel

Locally Made Artisan Souvenirs Now Available in Airport Vending Machines

Shopping for 100-percent local artisan souvenirs is now as easy as buying a Snickers.
Podcast

Beards, Booze, and Bacon: Interview with Mario Andretti

The Manual's podcast host got a chance to interview Mario Andretti. And ride in a race car. No big deal.
Living

Update Your Workspace with These Sleek Office Decor Ideas

Who knows? You may even be excited to sit down to your desk each morning.
Food & Drink

7 Best Tequila Bars in Mexico City

Jaime Salas, the national brand ambassador for Milagro, takes us on a tequila-drinking journey via the best bars in CDMX.
Auto

Audi Sharpens the Already Well-Appointed R8 Supercar

Though the next generation will likely see the engine’s demise, Audi isn’t ready to let the R8 go quietly into the night just yet.
Auto

Ural’s New Off-Road Motorcycle Comes With Its Own Drone

When you're unsure of what’s ahead on the road, open the cubby, turn on the drone, and send it skyward.
Auto

Hyper-Sub Is an Insane Navy-Approved Speedboat-Submarine and We Want One

Because jetpacks and flying cars are so last month.
Auto

Cold Weather Hacks: Prep Your Ride (and Yourself) for Winter

Assuming you can count on your car starting in the morning, here are a few quick and easy ways to make driving a cold car less unpleasant this winter.
Auto

How to Clean Your Car’s Foggy Headlights

You can use everyday household items to do a quick restore of your headlights.
Auto

Britain’s Legendary Morgan Motor Company Announces ‘110 Anniversary’ Lineup

Experience "the nearest thing to flying without leaving the ground."
Auto

Porsche GT2 RS MR Destroys Lamborghini’s Record on the ‘Ring

Porsche's ballsiest 911 ever shaved another four seconds off its lap time to re-take the title of "King of the 'Ring."
Auto

McLaren Reintroduces a Three-Seater Supercar with the Speedtail

Now you and your two best friends can hit 186 mph in 12.8 seconds together.
Auto

Aston Martin Wants Its Flying Car Concept to Be Your New Commuter

"Air travel will be a crucial part in the future of transportation ... We need to look at alternative solutions to reduce congestion, cut pollution, and improve mobility.”
Auto

Aprilia Teases a 217-Horsepower Superbike Dubbed the RSV4 1100

The horsepower wars we’ve seen take root in the automotive world have spread to the motorcycle realm. Case in point: the Aprilia RSV4 1100.