If you’re looking for the best cheap luggage deals or, more specifically, the best luggage for men, we lined up the best luggage deals available online. The best cheap luggage has to meet your needs, which depend on several factors, which we explore below.
It’s not a good idea to buy on impulse when you’re shopping for new luggage. Especially if you intend to invest in a multi-piece set of luggage that you’d like to last for years or decades, there are several factors to consider before shopping for deals. Below we’ve listed and commented on the major factors to help you choose the best cheap luggage deals.
- How will you use it? — Do you need an overnight bag or will you taking many week-long or longer trips requiring changes of clothing each day. Will you just throw your bag in the back of your vehicle, carry it on your back, roll it on airplanes, or consign it to checked baggage? It probably goes without saying (but I’m about to anyway) that the way you’ll use it is the primary factor in choosing new luggage. Capacity, convenience, durability, portability, and security all matter, in addition to cost, but nailing down the way you’ll use your new luggage is primary.
- How many pieces? — You’ve likely seen films with royalty arriving at a hotel with 20 to 30 pieces of luggage in a massive pile or on two or three luggage carts. But in the real world, how many pieces do you really need? For short two- or three-day trips, you might get away with a single carry-on bag. Week-long or longer trips typically require at least one checked bag.If you’re buying a full set of luggage at one time, it’s a good idea to have at least one sturdy carry-on and one checked bag, that way you’ll have the right bag for short or long trips and if needed you can take both. The next steps if you’re building a set would be to choose a highly functional personal items bag of the type most airlines allow in addition to a carry-on and then a different-sized checked bag than the first one you bought. If you’re still intent on buying more luggage for extended stays, any additional luggage purchases should probably be the largest capacity checked bags.
- Style, durability, and security — Style, including design, materials, and colors is a matter of personal preference — that’s why it’s not a great move to buy luggage for someone else if you have a choice. Durability and security matter, however, no matter who you’re buying for. Pre-inspected sealed and locked metal cases are one end of the spectrum and plastic shopping bags take the final position for both durability and security. In the real world, however, you want to buy luggage that’s durable enough to survive repeated drops and rough handling and protect your belongings from severe weather. If you’re shopping for wheeled luggage, the toughness of the wheels and wheel assemblage can give you an idea of how they’ll survive dropping off or running into curbs or even stay attached while the bag is tossed on and off aircraft luggage compartments. Security is relative when all bags are subject to search during air travel, but sturdy closures and opaque fabric are a good first step. All else being equal, the greatest decision you’ll make is whether to invest in soft side or hard cases. Duffle-bag style soft bags can be comfortable to carry and easy to fit in various shape storage compartments, but hard side cases generally offer greater protection than soft bags.
- Cost — You’ll find multi-piece luggage sets for under $100 while other choices cost multiple hundreds of dollars per piece. Don’t assume that more expensive choices are always higher quality than cheap luggage, although the least costly choices may skimp on zippers and other fittings, which can render the bags useless. After perusing the luggage deals above, the best plan is to set a budget limit and stick to it.
- Best Suitcase Deals: American Tourister, Samsonite From $100
- The 9 Best Luggage Brands for Every Type of Traveler in 2022
- The Best Spring Break Beach Destinations for 2022
- This American Tourister Luggage Set is SO CHEAP it Could be a Mistake
- Best Prime Day Luggage Deals for 2021