Today is National Bloody Mary Day, which, of all the booze-related “holidays,” seems to be one of the most appropriate. For most of us, January 1 is probably a day that we’ll spend hungover, not just from trying to make sense of 2018, but also from the massive amounts of beer, wine, Champagne, and cocktails we consumed last night to celebrate the end of the aforementioned year.
So, to honor the first liquor-themed holiday of 2019, we’ve collected four new Bloody Mary recipes to help start the year off right. Or, if not right, at least a little better than it was before you mixed a drink.
Diamond Reserve Bloody Mary
(Created by Tabasco)
- 1.5 oz vodka
- 4 oz Bloody Mary mix*
- 2 drops sesame oil
- 2 oz dry Prosecco
- Black and white sesame seeds, for garnish
- Long cucumber slice, for garnish
- Slice of red pepper, for garnish
- Lemon peel, for garnish
Method: In a mixing glass, add all ingredients, except for the Prosecco and garnishes, and stir with ice to chill. Strain into a stemless wine glass with a large square ice cube. Top with Prosecco and garnishes.
*Bloody Mary mix
- 1.5 cups tomato juice
- .5 tbsp Diamond Reserve Tabasco Pepper Sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp celery salt
- 1 tbsp Tajin seasoning (or .5 tablespoon chili powder)
Method: Combine all ingredients and chill until ready to use.
Ferris Bloody Ferris
(Created by Jenny Lakin, Ferris, New York City)
- 2 oz vodka
- 2 oz tangerine juice
- McClure’s Bloody Mix, to top
- Tajín seasoning, for the rim
- Parsley, for garnish
- Celery plume, for garnish,
- 2 peppadew peppers, for garnish
- 2 olives, for garnish
Method: Rim a highball glass with Tajín seasoning. Add ice to the glass and pour in vodka, tangerine juice, and Bloody Mary mix. Garnish and enjoy.
(Created by Lucas Swallows, Momofuku Nishi, New York City)
- 5 oz high-quality tomato juice/puree (preferably Pomi strained tomatoes)
- 1.5 oz Breckenridge Chili Vodka
- .5 oz Bull Dog Tonkatsu Sauce
- .25 tsp wasabi
- 1/8 tsp yuzu koshu
- Soy sauce, to taste
- Pinch of white pepper
- Pepperoncini, for garnish
- Lemon wedge, for garnish
Method: Fill a highball glass with ice and add ingredients. Garnish with pepperoncini and lemon wedge.
Belle Isle Honey Habanero Bloody Mary
(Created at Bistro Off Broad, Winder, Georgia)
- 2 oz Belle Isle Honey Habanero Moonshine
- 1 cup Bistro Bloody Mary mix*
- Old Bay, as needed
- Pickled vegetables, for garnish
- Bleu cheese stuffed olives, for garnish
- Pepperoncini, for garnish
- Lime wedge, for garnish
Method: Rim a pint glass with Old Bay and fill with ice. Add Belle Isle Moonshine and Bistro Bloody Mary Mix. Garnish with pickled vegetables, olives, pepperoncini, and a lime wedge.
*Bistro Bloody Mary mix
- 1 46 oz can Sacramento tomato juice
- 2 tbsp prepared horseradish
- 4 tbsp Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce
- 6 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 2 tsp celery salt
- 2 oz lemon juice
- 2 oz olive brine
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
Method: Combine all ingredients and refrigerate overnight.