George Clooney was born with a leg up. There’s no point in denying his good looks and charisma, which were more than enough to make him a TV star. What made him a matinee idol of the kind we rarely see anymore, though, was his ability to break out of the shell that his good looks could have boxed him into. George Clooney can be whatever he needs to be. He can be a sexy, sly criminal, a lawyer who’s dead inside, or a bumbling oaf trying to find his way home.
All of these roles work on Clooney, because he fits well in both comedies and dramas. The peak of Clooney’s powers are likely behind us at this point, but as he proved in his more recent movies, he remains one of the most charismatic leading men that Hollywood has. These are the movies that showcase what Clooney can do, and they’re just as varied as his whole career has been.
- The 24 best Amazon Prime series to binge this week
- The best Al Pacino movies to stream right now
- These are the best David Fincher movies, ranked
- The 15 best war movies of all time, ranked
- The best Jason Bateman movies of all time