Which new bourbon are we pumped about? What does it take to be a master journeyman? Where are we excited to travel to next? Each week, The Manual Podcast invites an expert, artisan, or craftsman for a roundtable discussion on what’s new, exciting, and unique in their trade.
For this week’s episode of The Manual Podcast, Greg, Sam, and, Nicole get in the holiday spirit by learning about a few prominent holiday-related legends and lore.
To start, the crew discusses possibly the most well-known holiday monster, Krampus. What we uncover, though, is that Krampus — a European sidekick to Santa Claus — has a shortlist of likes … and they aren’t what you might expect.
Next, the gang travels to Iceland, where there is a veritable smorgasbord of holiday monsters and lore. From a woman who eats children to her mischievous sons to their cat — yes, their pet cat — Iceland’s holiday lore game is strong. (It also seems like a pretty scary place to celebrate Christmas.)
That’s not all, though, as the final topic covered is a bit … scatological. Coming from Catalonia in Spain, the final bit of lore is quite entertaining. We’d tell you here what it is, but you’ll have to listen to find out what it is — we promise, you’ll want to hear all about it (it’ll make perfect Christmas dinner table conversation … or a great way to clear the room if you need a breather).
Does your family engage in any holiday traditions or lore? Did you grow up thinking a monster would take you away if you were bad? We want to hear from you. If you ever have a question or comment for The Manual Podcast folks, give us a shout at email@example.com — we’re always around! Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter so you can join the discussion. Don’t forget, too, to rate and review the podcast where you download it.
- 6 Holiday Card Ideas That You Can Pull Off Yourself
- Holiday Gift Guide
- Yule Love These 12 Holiday Cocktail Recipes
- What Is the Winter Solstice and Other Common Questions Answered About the Longest Night of the Year
- Soccer, Food, and More with Celebrity Foodie Adam Richman
- Serving Up True Italian Cuisine with John DeLucie
- Serving Up a Slice of Pizza Knowledge with Upside Pizza’s Noam Grossman
- Talking About The State of the Country With Jackie Summers
- Talking Australian Whisky With Starward Whisky’s Dave Vitale