Havaianas are certainly the most well known Brazilian flip-flop (or open toe footwear as they say in the biz) but back in 1984, Reef was founded in Sao Paulo by two brothers who now own the global surf lifestyle market in their category.
Inspired by the beaches of South America the brand now includes a wide range of footwear and apparel and is based in Carlsbad, California.
One feel-good factor at Reef is the Reef Redemption program they started in 2007 comprised of products, a culture of giving (to funds and causes), and in-house efforts.
Naturally, as a surf lifestyle brand, Reef has a great appreciation for the environment so they have created the Reef Redemption program to reinforce their commitment to preserving it. Reef Redemption is several things:
- It is the brand’s stance on employing what they believe to be environmentally conscious and socially responsible business practices.
- Reef enjoys giving back through their personal time and financial resources to support humanitarian and environmental causes. Every Reef employee is granted paid time off to volunteer at a non-profit organization of their choice.
- They also are committed to reducing the carbon footprint at their world headquarters by having paperless meetings, using solar tubes and energy-efficient lighting, and banning disposable plastic water bottles.
In 2014 Reef collaborated with Pacific Panel Products to recapture waste foam and transform it into an eco-friendly surfboard. See the video here. Reef Ambassador Rob Machado teamed up with them to create two amazing boards that hopefully will set a new trend in the industry.
Another great Reef Redemption experience was learning more about Project WOO where Reef Ambassadors Cyrus Sutton and Tia Blanco helped with some of their community building efforts in Playa Gigante, Nicaragua. They helped paint some class rooms, teach English, as well as meet with the directors of local waste management and recycling programs. A highlight was teaching some of the local girls how to surf.
Keep up with all the fun and good vibes on Reef’s Instagram account.
- Tips for Doing Your Taxes During Coronavirus
- How to Easily Tie-Dye an Old White Shirt At Home
- The 10 Best Mass-Produced Wines
- The 7 Best Wine Podcasts
- Breweries, Distilleries, and Wineries Are Hosting Virtual Tastings and Tours