The chef life is so dramatic that it makes for great viewing, even from afar. With a great food documentary, you get all that intensity, but don’t have to carry it with you beyond the two-hour running time. Better, many of these great films educate and show just how rigorous the lifestyle can be, whether you’re a Michelin-star contender or just trying to make it in the world of wine.
This list of 17 is intended to entertain and inform. We’ve assembled a nice mix that shows both what life is like behind the kitchen doors of major restaurants, and the many problems facing our various food supply chains. You’ll learn, you’ll get a little hungry, you’ll want to change your diet—it’ll all happen. We suggest getting comfortable, putting on the tea or whipping up your favorite nightcap, and get watching.
Too hungry now? Why not watch something a little less food-focused by checking out the best documentaries streaming on Netflix.
- The best food shows to binge on Netflix right now
- The 15 best war movies of all time, ranked
- Ranked: The best Disney movies of all time (for kids of all ages)
- How The Bear nails American kitchen work (and the one thing it gets wrong)
- What to Watch Waiting for Season 2 of ‘The Bear’ From FX