When it comes to high-quality viewing, the culinary world has all of the ingredients for maximum entertainment. The pressure, the skill, the high stakes — it all makes for great television. The food documentary takes this one extra stop, often focusing on a sensational or troubling plot within the industry or how a chef or restaurant grew to prominence (or came crashing down).
Whether it’s simply witnessing what it’s like to be a Michelin-star talent in the world of cooking or digging into a scandal that plagued the entire wine realm, the food doc is must-see TV. These great films can change the way we eat for the better, inspire us to cook at home, give us a new appreciation of a particular cuisine, and so much more. Just be advised, you may need something good to munch on while you take in these food-heavy movies (or at least a good nightcap cocktail).
Here they are, 20 of the best food documentaries out there.
This 2020 film is easily one of the most moving and important watches on the list. It focuses on the many indigenous communities of this country and how they’re working to restore their culinary identities. It’s bittersweet, touching on the genocide that nearly wiped out the entirety of these communities, while offering some hope by showcasing the fascinating ways native people are reconnecting with the land and their traditional culinary culture.
Too hungry now? Why not watch something a little less focused on food by checking out the best documentaries streaming on Netflix.
- Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom: Everything we know about this Jason Momoa and Amber Heard DC movie
- The 11 best Steven Spielberg movies, ranked
- HBO’s True Detective Season 4: Jodie Foster hunts a serial killer (and everything else we know)
- Disney CEO says there are so many Marvel movies it’s causing the franchise to lose steam (and revenue)
- The 11 best Robert Downey Jr. movies, ranked