Wow, do you really whip these hair products up in your own kitchen? What inspired you to get started?
Yes, I do experiment in my own kitchen. I genuinely started out of curiosity as to whether I could actually make my own product and the only reason was to make the perfect hair product for myself. It wasn’t to start a business and take over the world with hair products! But as I gave the product to other stylists and friends, more and more people started requesting it, so I made further batches and it seemed to grow from there.
Which product was first, and which base ingredient did you build on?
Fatboy Perfect Putty was first. I really wanted this to have a second day “dirty” hair finish so I started with actual dirt (diatomaceous dirt) and clay, and developed the product from there.
Do you have any tips for “cocktailing” hair product? For example, would Sea Salt Pomade mix well with Boss Dog Styling Cream?
I actually love cocktailing products. I feel like there are no universal dos or don’ts, it’s all about finding the perfect mixture that works with your unique hair type. There may be a lot of trial and error, but you’ll find the combination that works best for you. My favorite cocktail is Fatboy Perfect Putty with argan oil and applying it roots to ends and then air drying naturally for a textured natural look.
Is it okay to keep adding product to your hair or should you wash it and start all over again each day?
I absolutely love building up product, especially when using products on the matte side of things. For me the only real reason to wash your hair is to avoid irritation of the scalp.
Let’s match the Fatboy styling product to the rocker…
- Sea Salt Pomade – Brian Wilson. Throw in and let it dry naturally for a laid back look.
- Perfect Putty – David Lynch, Rub it in the hair and blast dry with a drier or let it dry in the sun.
- Tough Guy Water Wax – James Hetfield, Lead singer of Metallica. Rub it in and comb through to and your all set to go.
- Boss Dog Styling Cream – Rod Stewart apply from roots to ends, blast dry and works the style with your fingers.
- The Best Beard Balms are the Secret to a Tamed and Tangle-Free Beard
- Beard Conditioners: What They Are and How They Work
- Patriotic Presents: Made in America Gifts for Guys
- Get Him a Little Something from Our List of the Best Stocking Stuffers for Men
- Banish Mid-Winter Pastiness with the Best Sunless Tanners (and Tanning Tips) for Men