But the new iteration of Old Spice isn’t your father’s after-shave. Of course, the brand is still catering to hyper-masculinity as evidenced by the manly men who star in its wacky ads, like Isaiah Mustafa or Terry Crews, but they’ve branched out with an expanded line that goes beyond antiperspirant and a wider variety scents.
The latest range of deodorants, body washes and shampoos within the Old Spice Red Zone Collection is Desperado, a scent that’s meant to summon up the ultimate devil-may-care dude. Apparently, this risk-taking attitude translates to a blend of lemon juice, greenery and firewood.
And embodying the man who could care less about consequences is Mexican actor and model, Alberto Cardenas. And how do you demonstrate the new scent’s ability to inspire this kind of overconfidence? In a two-part ad campaign that features our hero Cardenas engaged in an old-timey standoff with a bandido in an old Mexican town (actually shot at John Wayne’s former spread in Durango, Mexico), of course. Cardenas defeats the (presumably malodorous) villain and wins over the people with his badassery, good looks and delightful odor before riding off into the sunset on a mythical horse/bathtub hybrid. As you do. Though you probably shouldn’t try this at home, even while wearing Old Spice.
- Old Spice Unleashes Beard Care Line with NFL Brothers Travis and Jason Kelce
- Erik Weihenmayer’s No Barriers Organization Helps People With (and Without) Disabilities Achieve the Awesome
- Meet Corridor, the Fashionable Clothing Company Founded by a Former FBI Agent
- How to Use a Big Green Egg for Everything
- 10 Best Beef Jerky Brands to Try Before You Die