While we are constantly on a crusade for quality made products, we are equally aware of the cost of said products. Hand made shirts in Italy are not accessible for most of us on a daily basis. Neither are high-end sheets. Usually they can go for upwards of $500 and they have flowers on them. We just can’t win. Until now.
Since January, Boll and Branch has become one of the fastest-growing brands in the entire home textiles category. The new and dynamic bedding brand has sold thousands of sets of organic cotton sheets with Fair Trade practices as their principle obligation besides damn good feeling sheets too!
- They design everything in their own factories.
- They sell directly avoiding the middleman and retail stores that jack the price up.
- All of their cotton is organic and hand picked making it eco-friendly and incredibly soft.
- A portion of every sale is donated to Not for Sale, a non-profit that fights slavery around the world (yes, it still exists).
What we love about this brand is that it really supports farms in need. For example, in the first half of 2014 they used 103,461 pounds of cotton from 105 farms in India, which in turn supports 836 farmers and their families. 250 fairly treated and paid mill workers then make all of their products that are then sent to you.
Based in Chatham, New Jersey, the founder, Scott Tannen and his wife discovered that the bedding business is dominated by a very small number of companies and their mark ups range from 4% to 600% and often are connected to sweat shop labor and poor-quality cotton. Needless to say the company has been thriving because of their quality and cost.
Lastly, they have provided 4,308 rescued victims of human trafficking with a day and night of shelter, food and education through their partnership with Not For Sale. Now that is something you can fall asleep feeling good about.
- 8 Ways to Support Local Businesses During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- How You Can Help the Australian Bushfire Relief Efforts
- 7 Ways to Give Back During the Holidays