To go forward, you sometimes have to look back — at least, that’s the philosophy that launched Oxford Pennant, a one-of-a-kind brand that’s here to help you upgrade your space in style.
Founded by Dave Horesh and Brett Mikoll and based in Buffalo, Oxford Pennant‘s unique, vintage-inspired wool pennants and championship banners mix retro inspiration with eye-catching design. In short, any of the brand’s pennants or banners would be a welcome upgrade from that old movie poster you’ve had since college.
And in a shifting menswear world that values stylish home goods just as much as seasonal style essentials, Oxford Pennant is a worthy brand to look into.
“We never set out to start a brand. Buffalo … is a city that looks back in time as much as it looks forward. Brett … and I would go to estate sales and pick through huge collections of old pennants from the early 20th century. To us, it always seemed like a piece of Americana that had lost its popularity,” Horesh said.
Those estate sale trips led to picking through stacks of old pennants — and the brand’s first design, a “Let’s Go Buffalo” pennant for friends and family. Those pennants quickly gained popularity in the area via Instagram, which led to a deluge of requests and orders — “a company was born,” Horesh said.
And the company’s popularity — and the resulting line — has continued to expand, namely to bold, excellent-looking championship banners and of course, vintage-inspired pennants. For the guy who’s just getting into home design, they’re an easy way to breathe some character and life into a space — even if it’s not the first thing you think of.
“A flag is something that’s always used as a symbol of pride and identity. Pennants are essentially a small, house-sized flag. I think they’re a pretty clear opportunity for self-expression,” Horesh said. Among the brand’s assortment, Horesh has a special place in his heart for the brand’s “Let’s Go Buffalo” pennant, the design that started it all. But other noteworthy, eye-catching pieces include designs like a black-and-white pennant emblazoned with a call to action: “Not All Who Wander Are Lost.”
Talk about a change of pace from your standard wall decor. And in addition to adding an Oxford pennant or two to your space, Horesh has some simple tips:
- Start with the classics. Estate sales are a great place to find quality items.
- A space is always a work in progress. You’ll never be done.
- Get as many plants as you can. Learn how to take care of them.
- If you care about something, frame it.
- Put back the Christmas lights, bro.
At the very least, snapping up a vintage-inspired, entirely unique and USA-made pennant from Oxford Pennant should certainly be your first order of business.
- These Sweaters by Dale of Norway are for Modern Vikings (aka Olympic Athletes)
- Why You Should Get Your Next Pair of Jeans from Fitted Underground
- Marine Layer’s New Athleisure Collection Sports Plenty of Style
- Sunshine is Calling: The Best Hotels, Bars, and Restaurants in Miami
- Do Yourself a Favor in 2018 and Resolve to Clean Your Closet