You’re the adventurous sort. Camping, sailing, biking–you do it all. So chances are, you’ll need a device that can keep up. The Casio G’zone Commando 4G LTE ($149.99), powered by Verizon Wireless, is one such device. This rugged Android smartphone was designed to withstand harsh climate conditions. Sporting a thick rubber casing, it can resist shock, water and dust. It’s resourceful too. Along with a built-in radio, 8-mega pixel camera and email features, the Commando comes with helpful tools geared for the outdoors:
- Barometer – provides information on local weather and atmospheric pressure.
- Earth Compass – displays the distance and direction to landmarks across the U.S. and abroad.
- Walking Counter – measures your total steps for the day, week or month.
- Tides – lets you know the current tide at various nautical locations.
- Thermometer – shows the current temperature, and can compare it to the temperatures of different cities.
- Sun / Moon – tracks the time of the next sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset.
- Star Gazer – displays the stars and constellation names.
An interesting feature is the Glove Mode, which lets you use the screen even when wearing gloves. Another plus: the cloud service LiveG helps you create your own personal outdoor map. Keep track of your favorite activities and trekking records. With the pre-loaded social media app G’z World, you can see the location of other G’zOne users and share photos. Be sure to check out the Commando website for more details on design and usability.
- Chill Your Wine to the Right Temp Quickly with this Smart Wine Cooler
- Cheat Day Land Is an Interactive Pop-up Dedicated to Our Favorite Junk Foods
- These 8 Things Red Flag You As a Potential Problem to Airport Security
- Into the Wild is a Tiny Cabin that Let’s You Edit Your Views of the Forest
- The Cauldryn Is a Travel Mug That Does Everything