It’s almost summer and we are all hitting the gym and getting fit for those weekends in the water and vacations with the in-laws (sigh). Juicing seems to be getting more popular with guys partly from the hype but also because our lady friends are seeing results. But what are the risks vs. the benefits? The controversial practice is certainly one way of incorporating more fruits and vegetables into your diet without buying a juicer – it just takes some willpower. Many juice cleanses range from 3 to 5 days and cost upwards of 100 dollars. The high cost is due to the amount of produce packed into each bottle.
Many skeptics and doctors warn against cold pressed juices because while they contain the sugars – they tend to lack the important nutrients – especially fiber. One brand that has made a point to incorporate fiber and other nutrients is Brooklyn-based Jus By Julie. Each batch is made fresh every day from pure, raw ingredients.
This JUS cleanse is a detox program aimed to rid the body of toxins and impurities. All the vitamins, minerals, enzymes and antioxidants you’ll find in the produce section have been bottled. We at The Manual tried the three day program, and were pleasantly surprised. While the cleanse was a challenge, we made it across the finish line with minimal hunger pains.
So what are some tips we can give all your ambitious, future juice-heads out there?
1. Prep your body- Don’t gorge on Friday and start juicing on Saturday. Stop eating meat two days before and when you jump off the cleanse start with soups and veggies.
2. Stay hydrated – drink plenty of water throughout the day. This will prevent headaches and keep you feeling full.
3. Take your time – don’t rush through your six drinks a day. The juices are thicker than most, so you will feel satisfied.
4. Try it on a weekend – especially if you don’t know how your body will react to eliminating solid foods. Also, you won’t have to worry about snacking if you’re sleeping.
5. Listen to your body – if you can’t get through it – don’t force yourself.
6. Don’t get wasted! – Dude you are on a cleanse, so this is time for you to slow your roll and chill at home.
7. Do it with a friend. That way you have someone to support you when you are about to swerve into Dunkin’ Donuts on the third morning.
Overall, we felt healthy not because we were consuming more greens in a day, than we normally would in a week, but because we were more mindful of what we consuming overall. No confusion. After going through the process, you won’t exactly be in the mood to blow it all away on three slices of pizza.