Every year, tens of thousands of people around the United States (and, you know, in Ireland) celebrate the feast of St. Patrick’s Day. (If you need to know more on the holiday itself, check out a history of the day here.) What differentiates everyone, then, is what they’re drinking. You could drink cheap green beer, or you could be a classy gentleman. If you’re planning to tie one on during St. Patrick’s Day, the least you could do is mix up a delicious cocktail instead of puking in the street. Below, you’ll find all the cocktails you’ll need to truly feel the luck of the Irish on St. Patrick’s Day.
Who knows. With these cocktails, you might not even need to be Irish to get kissed.
Into Thin Air
(Created by Lucinda Sterling, Middle Branch, New York City)
- 1 oz Slane Irish Whiskey
- .5 oz Italicus Rosolio di Bergamotto
- .5 oz Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Top with tonic water
Method: Combine whiskey, Italicus, and fresh lemon juice in a Collins glass with ice. Top with tonic water. Garnish with a lemon wedge.
Wilde’s Atlantic Way
(Created for the Lodge at Ashford, County Mayo, Ireland)
- 50 ml Connemara 12 year
- Two brown sugar cubes
- 4 dashes house bitters
- 1 piece dried dillisk (red sea lettuce) for garnish
- 1 square of turf (from somebody’s garden)
Method: In a rocks glass, combine sugar and bitters. Muddle and add Connemara. Add a ball of ice and stir once more. Sit glass on top of turf and garnish with dillisk.
The Irish Milk-Flake
(Created by Julia Velazquez, O’Shaughnessy’s Public House, Chicago)
- 1.5 oz of Kerrygold Irish Cream Liqueur
- 1 oz of Wondermint Schnapps Liqueur
- 1 oz Irish whiskey
- 1 Cadbury Flake bar
Method: Combine all three into a cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into a martini glass. Serve with crushed Cadbury Flake bar on top and mint garnish.
(Created by Tim Herlihy, National Ambassador for Tullamore D.E.W.)
- 1.5 parts Tullamore D.E.W. Caribbean Rum Cask Finish
- 1 brown sugar cube
- 3 dashes of Angostura Biters
- Coconut water
- Lime wheel to garnish
Method: Add Tullamore D.E.W. Caribbean Rum Cask, brown sugar, and bitters to a highball glass and muddle. Top the cocktail with coconut water and ice. Stir together. Garnish with lime wheel.
- 1.5 parts Jameson Caskmates IPA Edition
- 2 parts of IPA beer
- .75 parts lemon juice
- .5 parts ginger syrup
- 2 dashes of Angostura
- Mint sprig to garnish
Method: Add Jameson Caskmates IPA Edition, ginger syrup, lemon juice, and Angostura to a shaker. Shake well. Pour into a highball and top with beer to finish. Garnish with a mint sprig.
The Green Swing
- 1.5 oz Peat Barreled Big Gin
- .5 oz Amontillado sherry
- .5 oz Cointreau
- 2 dashes Scrappy’s Grapefruit bitters
- Grapefruit to garnish
Method: Stir, strain into a coup. Garnish with a wide grapefruit peel.
Luck of the Irish Coffee
- 1 oz Baileys Original Irish Cream Liqueur
- 1 oz Irish whiskey
- 6 oz hot coffee
- Whipped cream, green sprinkles, glazed doughnut, and chocolate syrup to garnish
Method: Combine Baileys, coffee and Irish Whiskey in a tall “Irish coffee” glass. Top with whipped cream, sprinkles, and a glazed doughnut, and drizzle with chocolate syrup.
(Created by Jillian Vose, The Dead Rabbit NYC)
- 1.5 oz Teeling Single Grain
- .75 oz Marie Framboise
- .5 oz Fernet Branca
- .5 oz Giffard Ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla syrup
Method: Stir ingredients together with a large cube. Strain into a rocks glass with a rock of ice. Express an orange peel over top for garnish.
Matcha Lemonade Cucumber Cocktail
- 1.5 oz vodka
- 4 oz Natalie’s Matcha Lemonade
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Seedless cucumber, 1″ piece roughly chopped
- Cucumber slices, for garnish
Method: Add cucumber and vodka to a cocktail shaker, and muddle. Let the muddled mix sit for a few minutes to allow the cucumber flavor infuse the vodka. Add ice and Natalie’s Matcha Lemonade to the shaker. Shake until chilled. Strain into an ice-filled rocks glass. Top with a squeeze of lemon juice.* Garnish with cucumber slices.
*You can also top with club soda for a fizzy, lighter cocktail.
- 12 Delicious Thanksgiving Cocktail Recipes to Gobble Up This Year
- The Ultimate Halloween Cocktail List for Getting Your Boo-ze On
- 10 Refreshing Labor Day Cocktail Recipes to Salute the End of Summer
- 4 Inventive Spritz Cocktail Recipes That Don’t Use Aperol
- 9 Fall Cocktail Recipes to Enjoy with Cooler Weather