National Coffee Day (September 19) is upon us. Not that we needed another reason to celebrate coffee (it is the life-giving liquid that jumpstarts our days, after all), but since it’s a holiday, we thought it would be insulting if we didn’t celebrate a little extra.
Now, perhaps you’re someone who just likes a plain cup of joe with no frills. That’s cool, and we salute you for your dedication to a classic. If you are someone who likes adding other ingredients to your coffee (and no, we don’t mean pumpkin spice flavoring), then read on as we’ve pulled together some amazing coffee cocktail recipes.
While you’re mixing up these drinks, check out the coffee episode of The Manual podcast (aka Beards, Booze, and Bacon) or give your celebrations an even bigger jolt by adding one of these ways to eat your coffee.
Reyka Vodka Cold Brewtini
- 2 parts Reyka Vodka
- 2 parts La Colombe Pure Black cold brew
- .5 parts simple syrup (1:1 sugar to water)
- Coffee beans (for garnish, optional)
Method: Combine all the ingredients into shaker with ice. Shake, strain & garnish.
- 2 oz Van Gogh Dutch Caramel
- 1 oz Van Gogh Double Espresso
- 1 oz milk or cream
- 1 oz espresso, chilled
Method: Shake all ingredients very well with ice and strain into an ice-filled rocks glass. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg and ground cinnamon.
(Hazel) Nuts for Tequila
(Created by Manny Hinojosa, Global Brand Ambassador, Cazadores)
Method: Combine all ingredients in a mug. Garnish with whipped cream and an orange twist, and top with cocoa powder.
Method: Shake together with ice and strain into a chilled glass.
Wake Me Up, F**k Me Up
(Created by Kenneth McCoy for Ward III, New York City)
- 1.5 oz Peloton Mezcal
- 1 oz Mr. Black Cold Brew Coffee Liqueur
- .5 oz Giffard Banane Du Bresil
- 1 oz oat milk
- 2 Dashes Scrappy’s Chocolate Bitters
Method: Shake over ice and double strain into a chilled goblet. Garnish with coffee beans.
Bitter Sweet Symphony
(Created by Nikki McCutcheon, Legasea, New York City)
Method: Add all ingredients to a mixing tin with ice, stir ingredients, strain into rock glass with large ice cube. Garnish with 3 espresso beans.
Mint Chip Mocha
- 1.5 oz Stillhouse Mint Chip Whiskey
- 4 oz High Brew Dark Chocolate Mocha
- Garnished with Mint Leaves
Method: Shake ingredients vigorously in mixing tin with ice then strain into glass over fresh ice. Garnish and enjoy!
Cold Brewed Boulevardier
(Created by Lucinda Sterling, Middle Branch, New York City)
Method: Mix all ingredients together. Pour over ice into a rocks glass. Serve with a twist of orange.
- Fresh Memorial Day Cocktails to Help You Celebrate this Weekend
- Better Than Bunnies: 10 Easter Cocktail Recipes to Hop On this Year
- 13 Cinco de Mayo Drinks You Need in Your Life Right Now
- The Best Camping Coffee Makers for an Off-Grid Cup of Joe
- 10 Delectable Mother’s Day Cocktails to Make for Mom this Weekend