There are many things I love about the fall, from the changing color of the leaves to the dying mosquitoes, the fact that I can get back from a jog not dripping in sweat, the scent of woodsmoke in the air, and the bounty of low-priced candy for sale after Halloween. And of course there are beverages. My favorite beers of the year come out along with the cold weather, and those delectable heated cocktails re-appear on bar and restaurant menus. (Hot Toddies and Irish Coffees? Yes please.)
This year, however, I’ve kept sipping on chilled cocktails even as the weather has cooled. Ah, but not any cocktails… cider cocktails! But you knew that already and frankly you’re probably just being polite and want me to get on with the recipes. Very well. Here, sir or madam, four great apple cider-based cocktails perfect for getting a taste of the autumn season. And a boozy taste, at that.
(Created by Virtue Cider)
- 2 oz. Virtue Cider
- 1.5 oz Sipsmith London Dry Gin
- .75 oz fresh lemon juice
- .5 oz simple syrup
- 1 lemon wedge
- 2 oz Astral tequila
- 2 oz Virtue Cider
- 1 oz lime juice
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 1 lime wedge
Method: Combine simple syrup, tequila, and lime juice in a shaker with ice. Shake it up! Strain into a glass over ice and top with Virtue Cider. Garnish with a lime wedge or wheel.
Spiced Ginger Apple Mule
(Created by Chaddsford Winery)
OK, yeah I know — it’s not technically a cider cocktail, it’s an apple wine cocktail. Try one sip, and if you don’t like it, I’ll finish your glass for you. Really, I don’t mind, I’m here for you.
- 2 oz Chaddsford Spiced Apple Wine
- 1 oz Boardroom Spirits Fresh Ginger Vodka
- Juice of one lime wedge, and one intact wedge
- Ginger beer to fill
- Cinnamon stick
Method: Add wine, vodka, and lime juice to a glass (or copper mug, ideally). Fill with crushed ice and top with ginger beer. Stir and garnish with a lime wedge and cinnamon stick.
Apple Cider Old Fashioned
(Created by CompletelyDelicious.com)
- 2 oz whiskey
- 2 oz apple cider (I used sparking boozy cider, but flat cider or apple juice work)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Dash of angostura bitters
- Orange slice, apple slice, and cinnamon, for garnish
Method: In a lowball glass, combine the cider, bitters, and sugar. Swirl glass around until liquids combine and sugar dissolves. Add the ice and whiskey. Top with orange, apple slices, and a cinnamon.
Need on more idea? Why not make yourself a apple cider high ball? Simply take some cider, and add bourbon. For a bit of bubble, top with sparkling water.
- 10 Refreshing Labor Day Cocktail Recipes to Salute the End of Summer
- The Ultimate Halloween Cocktail List for Getting Your Boo-ze On
- 12 Must-Have Cocktails for National Rum Day
- Learn the Art of Classic Tiki Cocktails With These 8 Essential Recipes
- 9 Fall Cocktail Recipes to Enjoy with Cooler Weather