Listen Up: These are Best Podcasts For Beer Lovers
The delights of on-demand culture nurture our most specific proclivities and passions. With the click of a button, we can access sights and sounds that seem tailor-made for our hobbies and interests.
As an audio complement to streaming video services like Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime, subscribing to podcasts allows listeners to curate their very own pocket-sized talk radio stations, full of the content that interests them the most.
Thanks to shows like the hit NPR-produced Serial series, podcasts, which have been around for more than a decade, have finally hit the mainstream. The apps and software used for finding and subscribing to shows are becoming more advanced and easier to use. And the quantity and quality of productions is increasing exponentially.
Related Post: Bloody Good – 4 True Crime Podcast Cocktails
For those interested in craft beer, there are a number of excellent podcasts available for your listening pleasure.
- Craft Beer Radio is the OG beer podcast, having been in production since 2005. It offers a weekly roundup of informative and in-depth reviews. If you’re new to craft beer, this may be a good choice as they focus on specific styles and tasting notes. Listening to others taste beer and describe their palate interactions is the perfect way to improve your own tasting skills.
- For those interested in home brewing, there is a whole podcast network waiting for you thanks to The Brewing Network. With nine shows in production, including a video podcast, you can really hone in on your topic of choice. For example, The Session has interviews with world class brew masters while The Sour Hour educates listeners about wild-fermented and other sour ale styles.
- Michael Kiser has parlayed his Good Beer Hunting website into a podcast series that interviews a wide range of the professionals and hobbyists who make craft beer special. These are stories of heart, perseverance and creativity that shine a light on the people behind the brews.
- The Beerists include a diverse crew of friends as they dissect a themed panel of beers on every episode. Often veering into the tipsy, it’s a humorous and entertaining peek inside an informal tasting group.
- Finally, I would be remiss if I didn’t plug my own podcast, Brew / Drink / Run. Along with my co-hosts, we take the intersection of craft beer and healthy lifestyles to its logical conclusion by hosting a roundtable discussion where we review beer, discuss our workout regimens and play a few silly games along the way. We don’t take ourselves too seriously because beer and the camaraderie that it fosters should be fun.
In addition to these fine shows, there are craft beer podcasts dedicated to local scenes, like Oklahoma Craft Beer, live shows with diverse voices like Craft Beer Nation and many others with their own unique hook. Whether you’re looking to learn more about beer styles, the brewers behind the beer or just listen in to a group of friends enjoy a pint, there’s a craft beer podcast just for you.