Best Denim Jackets For Fall
More than ever, casual jackets are replacing the traditional blazer or sport coat, with designers pairing them back to softly tailored dress pants, chinos and other five-pocket styles. One of our favorites, the perennially street smart and durable denim jacket, has been getting a makeover lately by designers. Here, five of The Manual’s favorite updates in denim that not only molds to the body but feels and looks naturally worn in with a clean, modern finish.
1. Simon Miller, $450. Celebrated for its ruggedly elegant, Japanese selvage offerings, Simon Miller is releasing not one but three new styles of denim jackets ranging from crisp, unwashed denim in grey indigo to marled finish, laser-treated denim and the above style coated in resin in various areas for a more natural, lived-in aesthetic. “Our aim was to use authentic materials to create a quality denim jacket that feels contemporary but inherently familiar,” says Jake Sargent, one half of the brand, adding, “Fall’s the perfect season for a denim jacket because it’s a style staple and great layering piece.” Available at Mr. Porter and Barneys New York.
2. Todd Snyder, $495. Designer Todd Snyder is great at tweaking the classics, as evident in this calvary twill denim jacket, smartly styled with dropped, flap pockets for a casual, modern twist best worn with a more tailored ensemble.
3. Levi’s Commuter, $128. The urban cyclist-inpired Commuter line by Levi’s not only nails the fabric—in addition to stretch, the fabric is water, dirt and odor-resistant—but the look, as with this trucker-style jacket, with its slant pockets, adjustable waist tabs and extended tail.
4. Tortoise Jeans, $425. Launching this fall, Tortoise Jeans is revolutionizing the denim industry with its 360 sustainable approach to manufacturing and great looking washes. Case in point: this jacket, with its unique color and camo indigo jacquard patchwork sleeve and collar coated with a soft wax additive that fades into the jacket for a worn-in look like no other.
5. Jean.Machine, $310. While classically styled with a corduroy collar, this jacket from the legendary purveyor of denim in the UK is all about its incomparable slub fabric, known for its soft, gently worn-in aspect for a quietly luxurious and stylish indigo experience.